Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randomcreativity

mystery berry vine with three leaves, white flower

RandomCreativity
11 years ago

Hi! I was trying to clean up around a gardenia, and noticed this 4 foot high vine. It reminds me of a blackberry, would anyone know for sure? After I saw the flowers I looked around the yard and noticed that the vines are popping up everywhere. We have only been in the house a year so I don't know if it actually makes berries.

If they look like a good vine I want to save them from the lawn mower :-) Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of the same vine

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Rubus sp.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

aka bramble.. in the family of raspberry.. or some other 'make you bleed' berry ... lol ...

its more properly.. a cane ...

and its either.. variegated.. severely nutrient stressed [and i dont recommend fert'g bramble.. lol] .. or big time sap sucking insects on the back ...

i recommend removal of ALL OF THEM .... as they are invasive bird sown weeds.. just because its free.. doesnt mean it has value ...

if you want berry of some sort.. i am sure you can buy a named cultivar.. which would be more tame ... and probably berry more consistently ...

ken

• RandomCreativity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks! I have always heard 'leaves of three, let them be' but I also thought that it looked like a berry. The yard was pretty much untended for a few years, so I am trying to tame it a little and figure out what is good and what needs to go.

I actually planted a dormain red raspberry on the other side of the yard last month :-)

• saltcedar
    11 years ago

Raspberries hate heat, I hope yours was a tolerant one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Raspberry Varieties

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

If that's "got to go" you might as well wait for the berries. They'll be along in a few weeks now that you've got flowers.

Is it strangling a Gardenia?

• RandomCreativity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The raspberry we chose was recommended by the LSU Ag department for our area, there were only 2 that will grow here.

I actually want to remove (or at least drastically cut back) the gardenia before it blooms so I don't care if the vine strangles it, especially if there is a chance of berries. Mostly I was concerned with not harboring poison ivy or something like that :-)

I think I will just dig up the little vines and put them out of the way in the back - we love berries and even if they are a 'weed' they won't do any harm. It will be a few years before I work my way back there to clean up, so enough time will have passed to decide if the berries are worth leaving, and if they start to take over I can eradicate them before they get too far :-)

Thanks!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

You should know soon whether you like those berries or not.

I live next to an abandoned yard that now has several hundred sq ft of berry bramble adjacent to our yard, a shared CL fence. The only problem I have with them is that you can't have just a little.

This kind of vine will grow under the soil for various and arbitrary lengths, then pop up, in the lawn, in a shrub, wherever. Mowing isn't necessarily enough to keep it in bounds, little pieces can survive enough to send shoots farther out, until it finds somewhere where it's not being mowed.

It's quite different from a ground-cover type plant that creeps out in a visible, widening circle, because of the impossibility of knowing where it's gone, invisibly. Having any in close proximity greatly increases your chances for seedlings. Those are easy to pull, but regular monitoring is necessary to ensure you find them while the whole thing will still come up.

Gardenia should have the main bloom soon, shouldn't impede your access to the berries and the vines look like they are using it for support. I might recommend enjoying the flowers, likely on while you pick berries, then addressing each plant as you see fit.

I know nothing about store-bought raspberry plants, my comments are not in regard to them at all.

• RandomCreativity
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks - the gardenia scent gives me a headache, so it absolutely has to go before it blooms, but I will definitely keep an eye out for errant bramble vines.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm