Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenper

What kind of garlic?

gardenper
9 years ago

I have this plant in my garden area. It is growing in an area where I know I had left some garlic cloves to grow (or what I thought was a clove)

It grew all winter long in the area where I usually have the other typical garlic that comes from garlic cloves like what we buy in a grocery store. Now with spring coming, I thought I would separate it out or grow something else there, but when I dug it up, it has bulbs like a green onion.

Now I'm not sure what it is because I was pretty sure I had planted another kind of garlic there.

It seems to be a valid form of garlic to have a bulb like that (most similar to field garlic), based on pictures I found online, but I wanted to check if this is an early form of a garlic clove/bunch of cloves. It is something I had not expected so I was not sure if it could be edible like a regular or domesticated version of garlic .

The plant is about 2-2.5 feet tall and I'm not sure it has reached its full height. The leaves are flat like garlic, including how the leaves wrap around a central stalk, but the bulb looks very different from what I thought I had planted.

So I wanted to confirm if it is some kind of garlic that is edible or if there is some other kind of similar plant that I may need to be wary of.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County