Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this Elshotzia?

Posted by seedmoney 8A (seedmoney@embarqmail.com) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 22:47

The nursery I bought this from had it labeled Agastache foeniculum (Anise Hyssop). Clearly it's not that. After trolling the net I'm inclined to think it's Chinese Mint Shrub, Elsholtzia stauntonii. Do you agree?
Plant has opposite, serrated leaves, stems are square, indicating it's a Labiate family member, crushed leaves emit a fresh, cool mint smell.
Elsholtzia stauntonii, Chinese Mint Shrub

This post was edited by seedmoney on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 10:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this Elshotzia?

Your picture is not available

o

Fixed broken link.

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 11:11

the leaves, what do scent do they have ?
it also looks a bit like Caryopteris x clandonensis....

o

Aswhad,
Thanks for you response.
When crushed, the leaves and stems have a cool mint scent. I don't think this is a Caryopteris because their stems aren't square, like members of the mint family(Lamiaceae/ Labiatae ). My plant has square stems.

o

Its also got a Salvia farinacea look about it.

o

I don't think this is Caryopteris. But just for info Caryopteris is actually a member of the Lamiaceae. They don't all have square stems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here