Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I was told this is a passion fruit vine

Posted by wally-1936 8b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 22:56

These are the seeds that have grown into these plants. I started them last fall they sprouted in the fall but took until we started to get warmer weather before they grew very much. The leaf miners and snails have eaten some of the leaves but you can see some of the complete leaves. The seeds are a dark-brown shaped somewhat like a small shelled pumpkin seed. I planted 3 seeds and these are the plants which came up so they are what sprouted from those seeds and nothing else. The penny gives an idea of the size of the seeds. They were sent to me from St. Louisa Island in the East Indies last fall. This gardenweb.com member says they are passion fruit seeds and I have no reason to doubt him but cannot find any passion fruit vine with this type leaf. With the speed they are now growing they should become a vine soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I was told this is a passion fruit vine

Malva

Here is a link that might be useful: Malva

o

Looks right, if so I will be very happy, thank you very much. I did receive some Malva seeds from gardenhoard.com but they were tiny seeds. I see they seem to be different sizes so it would be nice as they sure are beautiful flowers.

I did get some cuttings of the passion vines from my neighbor and am trying to get them started. I placed them into water for over a month, during which time they never sprouted but they still look great.

This post was edited by wally-1936 on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 23:18

o

Be warned! I hate Passion Fruit. I know and appreciate its beautiful flower but it has a nasty habit of spreading far and wide by shooting from its roots.
My neighbours, bless their cotton socks, planted one. They now have it all through the bed and lawn, even though they tried pulling it out, once they realised their mistake and I have it climbing all through a densely planted bed of large native shrubs. I have tried painting it with Round-Up, but it just sulked for a few days then started off again. Using 100% RU seems to have a bit more success.

o

Be warned! I hate Passion Fruit. I know and appreciate its beautiful flower but it has a nasty habit of spreading far and wide by shooting from its roots.

@ thefof: Just curious if this is the NA native passiflora incarnata with the three-lobed leaf or one of the five-lobed imports. I've heard the imports can behave this way, but am wondering if the native form is as bad.

Apologies for the side-bar, but the distinction can be important.

This post was edited by bostedo on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 14:11

o

bostedo - thefof is in Australia so P incarnata wouldn't be native there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora in Australia

o

My bad - noob error of not switching context between forums... thought I was still in Texas.

o

@bostedo. Fret not, we all suffer these spacial shifts at times.
As flora-uk pointed out I am in the Land of Oz. My comment was a bit generalised, I must admit.
The plant I am fighting is one of the commercial varieties, the fruit of which wasn't that good either. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here