Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieeyler

Someone left me mystery plants on my porch!

katieeyler
9 years ago

This may be the most random thing that's ever happened to me, but...
I walked out front this afternoon and found a clump of plants on my porch. I took a good look and:
1 - I have no idea what they are
and
2 - I have no idea where they came from
My husband and I have completely rehabilitated the yards of the property we're renting. The grounds had been neglected for years, leading this house to be the ragamuffin of the neighborhood. It's shaped up quite nicely within the past few months, and now all of the neighbors who used to ignore us (we carried the stigma of living in THAT house) have begun to stop by and comment on how great the yard looks. I'm thinking the ditched clump of plants of someone's way of giving us a housewarming present. Why they didn't knock or leave a note is a different story...
I'm trying to figure out what they are... Lilies? Iris? The only clue I have to go on is that they seem to have shoots that come up from the center of the plant that have smaller plants (with roots) attached to them, as if they spread by some above ground root/rhizome/shoot system. You can see the baby plant under the arrow in my picture.
Any ideas on what these could be?! It was one solid clump that I divided into 5 separate plants - and then planted in my friend's yard. What can I say? We're maxed out on plants over here but I appreciate the gesture!

Comments (4)