Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Someone left me mystery plants on my porch!

Posted by LantanaLove 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 23:18

This may be the most random thing that's ever happened to me, but...
I walked out front this afternoon and found a clump of plants on my porch. I took a good look and:
1 - I have no idea what they are
and
2 - I have no idea where they came from
My husband and I have completely rehabilitated the yards of the property we're renting. The grounds had been neglected for years, leading this house to be the ragamuffin of the neighborhood. It's shaped up quite nicely within the past few months, and now all of the neighbors who used to ignore us (we carried the stigma of living in THAT house) have begun to stop by and comment on how great the yard looks. I'm thinking the ditched clump of plants of someone's way of giving us a housewarming present. Why they didn't knock or leave a note is a different story...
I'm trying to figure out what they are... Lilies? Iris? The only clue I have to go on is that they seem to have shoots that come up from the center of the plant that have smaller plants (with roots) attached to them, as if they spread by some above ground root/rhizome/shoot system. You can see the baby plant under the arrow in my picture.
Any ideas on what these could be?! It was one solid clump that I divided into 5 separate plants - and then planted in my friend's yard. What can I say? We're maxed out on plants over here but I appreciate the gesture!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Someone left me mystery plants on my porch!

Chlorophytum I believe.

Here is a link that might be useful: chlorophytum-comosum

o

Salt Cedar - That's two for two! You've identified both mystery plants I posted so far. You're good!
Thanks!

o

They say to not look a gift horse in the mouth, but I would recommend just that. I don't know about in CA, but here in AL, this is not a plant I'd let into a garden bed. Definitely hardy where you are. The babies on those long stems take root, causing the plant to expand its' reach constantly. The arching stems connected between mama and baby are excellent at tripping people trying to walk through. Roots go down about a foot, not an easy chore to dig these up. I would confine it to a hanging basket, if keeping it at all.

o

I keep them in a hanging basket; it looks nice and doesn't invade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here