Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delia5588

Is this a peony?

delia5588
9 years ago

Are these peonies? (The three darker/reddish stems) My aunt gave me some from her garden bed and told me they are peonies. I've tried looking up peonies to find out how to care for then and I'll I'm see are peonies bushes, that look much different then what hve just planted in my flower bed.

She also gave me, what she said are day Lilys (in between the "peonies"). Does that appear to be a day Lily?

Any special care instructions for either? Thank you!!

Comments (10)

• saltcedar
    9 years ago

Does look like a Daylily surrounded by three Peonies.

• mytime
    9 years ago

First off, unless you know that they're some kind of special dwarf peony, plant them further apart...mine are 4 feet apart and still they touch each other now.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Agree that you have peonies, and that the other plant looks like daylily. Also agree that they are planted wayyyy too close. The peonies should be several feet from one another, and I'd plant the daylily even further away from the peonies, as it will tend to spread and you'll want to keep it separate from the daylillies.

• delia5588
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the feedback! I can replant this weekend. Will it be hard on the plant moving it again so soon? (I just did last week). I will say, she had 30+ of those peonies clustered together in her flower bed. Ive yet to see what they look like bloomed. And from what I recall her saying (her English isn't the best) she cuts them back every year after they bloom.

Should I cut it back every year? If left be, will the peony grow more into a bush? When looking up peonies online, I seen all peonies bushes and nothing that resembles what I have.

If I moved the daffodils/tulip to where the peonies are, would that be enough space at the center to evenly space the peonies apart?

• delia5588
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm not sure if the picture in my last reply is showing up? I'm not seeing it (I'm mobile) but if I click on the little square at the bottom of my message it pops up.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Peonies are herbaceous perennials which means they die back to the ground in the winter and shoot up from the ground in the spring. What you have is spring shoots. Pictures you have seen of peony 'bushes' are taken in summer when they are at their largest size and blooming. If you Google 'peony shoots' you'll see something more like what you have. They are not actually bushes because they do not from a permanent woody framework. You do not cut them back after flowering until the foliage starts to die back on its own. But you can cut off the spent flower heads if you wish.

In the flowerbed in your photo the 3 peonies could be evenly spaced along the whole length of the bed. The daffodils could be divided into two clumps and set between the peonies but staggered to avoid a boring straight row effect. This would give you a more balanced look. Tulips are iffy and yours may well not come back next year so I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about where they are planted. You only have one day lily so it doesn't matter where that goes as long as it has enough space. But soon it will increase and you can divide it into more clumps.

• delia5588
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much! That was very helpful!

Do you think placing the peonies evening spaced across where the daffodils currently are, would be ok? I don't know if you see in the picture, there are two green mounds on either side, which are arugula and kale. I want to make sure they have enough space to grow. Across the back I have (L-R) azaela, Japanese holly sky pencil, purple gem, Japanese holly sky pencil, and azaela. (Then tomatoe and two peppers on the entire far right side) I've just planted everything a couple weeks ago and am not sure how big everything will grow to be. I'm a newbie to gardening! :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

I can't say I see any arugula or kale. But wherever they are bear in mind that peonies are perennials which will be in place for years to come. They and the shrubs you have there are the permanent bones of the bed. Kale, arugula and any other annuals are temporary clothing - so they should fit around the peonies, not vice versa.

The space occupied by the daffodils (if I am seeing the correct picture) is not big enough for three peonies. As I said, the peonies could be spread across the whole of that bed. IMO sticking them all at one end would look unbalanced and disorganised.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Maybe it's time to move this discussion over to the perennials forum rather than the Name That Plant Forum? You will find lots of perennial growers over there who like to talk about planting schemes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennials Forum

• delia5588
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you again.