Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or ?

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 1:18

Something is trying to take over my shaded areas.....any ideas what is are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or ?

Ground Elder. aegopodium.

o

Poison ivy?

Here is a link that might be useful: poison ivy info

o

not PI...looks like Bishop's Weed, ie: ground elder

o

start pulling.. i see a nice hosta in there... regardless of what it is... is too aggressive ...

any plans to drag shrubs around with your vee-hickle this spring??

and if it is BWeed... good luck with trying to pull it out...

ken

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, May 18, 14 at 12:10

Definitely Aegopodium. I've never heard it called ground elder, interesting. Here it is known as "bishops weed" or "goutweed".

o

It's known as Ground Elder in the UK because of the vague similarity in leaf shape to Sambucus nigra.

o

THANKS!

I have never had to deal with PI, but did wonder as the old "Leaves of three, beware of me", would apply.

Now to work on pulling it out, and the harder part of eliminating it.

Ken, whole lotta Hostas here, probably 200+, including the big ones that could be divided into 2 or 3. But only about 6 different types.

No more drag-um arounds, but did try a 4' Horse Chestnut a week ago. My, what big taproot little tree has! Will probably not make it, but worth a try as the other option the owner had was to cut it down,

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here