Tue, May 27, 14 at 7:11

This showed up in my pepper garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: spreading little plant

Some type of vetch, Vicia, I believe.

o

Just reading about it. Glad I didn't pull it. It makes a good companion plant for peppers by mulching and feeding them (its a legume!).

Thanks Carol.

o

Vicia sativa, Common Vetch.

o

Vetch can be invasive; it's often used for erosion control and spreads via rhizomes. I can always add fertilizer for my peppers, I don't need a plant that is going to take over the garden even if it does contribute nitrogen.

o

I don't mind nature doing it for me. Any extra/obnoxious plants will be fodder for chickens and rabbits. In the summer after the dead nettle and chickweed die down, there are fewer quick-to-pull, high-mass plants to give the animals. This might be it. And with the taproot it should bounce right back. They like clover, plantain and dandelions but they are a pain to hand pull in good volumes. Good to know they can eat this. I hope this plant has lots of babies.

o

i have been trying to get some version of it out of my beds and lawn for a decade ...

in my garden.. it has no upside ... in fact.. i was RUing it out of the cracks on my driveway just a few days ago ... what a nightmare ...

ken

o

I finally got rid of the vetch from our rock garden. It started out as one little gift plant my husband stuck in. It took five years, round up, flame throwers and the next step would have been a bombing raid, LOL. It is a nightmare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here