Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found this garden!

Posted by MilaSan MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 7:28

Please help, do you know any of these plants? They are supposed to be perennials:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found this garden!

This is another plant in the found garden

This post was edited by MilaSan on Mon, May 5, 14 at 7:50

o

Could be a veggie, a Swiss chard, there are completely red cultivars.

They do survive a mild winter, what zone are you in?

Bye, Lin

o

I'm not sure it is chard. I suspect something else. Do you know anything about the plant? Flower garden? What it looked like last season? Flowers?

FataMorgana

o

Lobelia Cv.?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lobelia x speciosa 'Queen Victoria'

o

Whatever it is, both this and your other plant have been severely chewed on by something.

o

Thank you all.

floral_uk - which other plant? I'm going to repost a new photo soon.

Zone 5

o

The one we thought could be Brunnera Jack Frost or possibly Lamiastum galeobdolon. BTW I see you've migrated over to Perennials for your ids. Any particular reason?

o

floral,

I'm new at this and I couldn't find my name to see where I had posted. It's sorta of been a huge ordeal as I posted, I was banned because I posted too many the very first day. However I wrote to the admins and they reinstated me. I want to stay with this forum. Now that you've opened my eyes to it, I'll post to this wonderful forum as you all have been so helpful. Thanks for asking.

o

Hi All, this is what the plant looks like now, a four days later. It looks like it wants to survive but may need to be transplanted. Do you still think it's a Brunnera Jack Frost or possibly Lamiastum galeobdolon or a lobelia?

Thank you all in advance

o

Saltcedar, thank you for sending the link. I looked at it and it doesn't look like that. The leaves of this one are bigger. I'll keep sending photos and looking through books. Thank you so much.

o

That's not the one we thought was L galeobdolon or Brunnera. That was the plant at the link.

I am amazed you got banned for over-posting. We always need fresh input to feed our hobby. Please keep it coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Jack Frost post

o

My first thought on the red-leafed one was beet seedlings. (I confess it's been decades since I grew Swiss chard; the two are quite similar from what I know.)

Bull's Blood is a red-leafed beet. Afaik its foliage is entirely red.

The more recent photo looks more variegated than entirely red.

o

hi all, this is the plant today. Do you still think is a vegetable? It is in the same found gardent as all the other plants, I've been posting.

Thank you in advance.

o

could it be penstemon Husker red? Photo from my garden last spring.
Google it, the leaves are sometimes more green (depends on amount of sun?)
It grows taller stem, leaves opposite as in photo. Maybe you need to wait until it grows a bit.
But it looks more like some vegetable to me...

This post was edited by rina_ on Wed, May 14, 14 at 0:51

o

'Husker Red' sounds right.

o

Hi saltcedar
That's what I thought also, but when I look at the leaves the ones on mine are smooth and these are serrated (sp?)

o

Hi saltcedar
That's what I thought also, but when I look at the leaves the ones on mine are smooth and these are serrated (sp?)

o

Had to check! Most leaves are entire, but some are finely toothed it seems.

This post was edited by saltcedar on Fri, May 16, 14 at 0:02

o

• Posted by rina_ 5a Ont (My Page) on
    Thu, May 15, 14 at 23:56

...that's why I said "it looks more like some vegetable"...Rina

o

Tomorrow, I'll post another plant that looks like this one, but it's a huge and beautiful.

o

Thank you all for all of your help and suggestions:

Here's what the plant looks like now! I'm wondering if it is the same as the one I'm going to post next.

o

Hi All,

There are a lot of these in the garden, growing beautiful and tall. Most of them are now about 8 to 10 inches tall. Are they pastemonon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here