Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown tree

Posted by bop1955 Portugal (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 7:44

Please can someone help to identify this tree. We have had it for about 3 years and this is the first year that it has had leaves. Once they start growing they grow very rapidly. Have looked at many web sites and all over local nurseries but can't find one like it.
Thanks for any help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown tree

Hi bop1955,
I think it is a type of fig plant called Ficus rubiginosa or the rusty fig. Its leaves are similar to the plant but it might be a variation of the ficus group too.
Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: ficus rubiginosa - wikipedia

o

Thank you for replying, I have looked at images of this tree and don't think that this is the answer, they seem to be native to Australia, which would be quite bizarre. We have a lot of fig trees in the garden as well. I will have to keep looking. The furled leaves seem quite unique, it is growing rapidly at the moment, literally inches overnight.

o

Wait, what? You've had it for three years and this is the first time it's ever had any leaves?

Is it deciduous or supposed to be evergreen? But you probably can't answer that since it has only had leaves this year?

o

I have to admit, like dave_in_nova, I find it hard to accept a plant surviving for 3 years with no leaves and hence no means of photosynthesising.
The base of the new growth, on both of the plants looks to me, to be a graft.

o

Thanks for the replies, yes really it is about 3 years old, in the first year it grew very fast but was just a stem, so we left it, then the 2nd year it didn't seem to grow very much, but this year it is now nearly 2m tall. It is only one tree with a branch, but the nodule like things sprout leaves, definitely no graft. I have scoured through pictures of trees until my eyes are crossed and can't find it. I guess we'll have to wait and see if any flowers/fruit appear later. No idea about deciduous or evergreen.

o

Its leaves and bark look like an Apple tree. I'm guessing one of the extreme dwarf trees sold as patio apples.

o

Did you plant it? Or was it there -- perhaps died back -- and just now it is growing?

It does sort of look like an apple or pear.

o

I didn't plant it, it was growing in a pot. I don't think it can be a dwarf apple as it is already 2m tall. A friend of a friend who is from Brasil, says that it might be an acerola tree, how it got here I have no idea. We will wait to see if flowers/fruit appear. Certainly a mystery.

o

I've seen the same odd nodules on pear and apple trees. I have no idea what the nodules are. At one point I was cutting them off, but then decided there were enough of them that it might be normal (no idea if that's true).

The leaves suggest apple or pear to me also.

o

The bark and buds are also very apple-like.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here