Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass-like bulbs

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Thu, May 12, 11 at 9:15

Found in the yard, growing with the grass. They usually get mowed but since it hasn't rained, there's been no need to mow that spot for a while. Have not seen any flowers. Leaves are flat, about 1/4" wide. Bulbs have a thin fibrous outer layer, no smell from leaves or bulbs. They seemed to be growing in a straight line along the wall, so I thought maybe somebody put them there long ago. I dug these up yesterday evening and they are not wilting yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass-like bulbs

It might be Crowpoison?

Here is a link that might be useful: Nothoscordum bivalve

o

Thanks for the suggestion. Looked at about a dozen sources and am not sure. These have been in their spot for at least 4 years. It's a very dry spot and often the mower misses this spot, not just this year, and I have no weed-wacker to finish the job but I have never seen any flowers. They were 2-3 inches under the surface. Maybe they were too deep to bloom? The biggest bulb I found is about 8 cm across, the smallest about 3 cm. The widest leaf is 5 cm across. No single bulb has more than 2 leaves coming from it.

o

Are the leaves pleated? They remind me a little of gladiolus which I have seen spread and get grassy like that in a similar situation. You can find them all over the place on older homesites.

o

Texasflip is most likely correct.

o

Hmm... that would explain the row, no doubt. If that's what they are, do they still have any flowering potential? None here to inspect, very little experience with glads.

The leaves look/feel the same on both sides, very close scrutiny shows a slight curl at the very edge. There is a rigid vein or filament in the middle of the leaf, from the base to the tip that you can see and feel protruding on both front and back.

o

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Thu, May 12, 11 at 21:54

If all the bulbs are tiny like those, you will not see flowers.
Remy

o

They don't look like glad. corms to me. Though the images are a bit blurry, these look like true bulbs and remind me of very young daffodils that have been grown from seed or even muscari bulbs. Not saying that that is what they are, just that they look like that to me.

o

Google crocosmia bulbs. There are a few pics of the bulbs themselves and plenty of pics of the leaves.

o

Stumbled on this post and just wanted to complete things. They were Gladiolus! A few got big enough from being left unmolested and bloomed last summer. Here's a pretty pale yellow one with some Cannas, last July. Glads usually bloom sooner than that here, but I'd just moved it a few months before.

o

nevermind

This post was edited by saltcedar on Fri, May 2, 14 at 20:31

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here