Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scarletdaisies

Herbs/ Weeds Plant ID help/Pics

scarletdaisies
13 years ago

Here are some recent photos of my garden. It can't be weeded in the areas where these herbs are planted until I know what is a weed and what is not, so if anyone can identify any of these herbs, please do.

I planted oregano, thyme, lavender, poppies, mullein, hyssop, peppermint, spearmint, dwarf hibiscus, lemon bergamot, borage, savory, Yarrow, licorice, and bee balm.

I've stared at pictures on the internet and none look like what I have or are too similar and all look alike.

Here's the photos.

{{gwi:205577}}

{{gwi:205578}}

{{gwi:205579}}

{{gwi:205580}}

{{gwi:205581}}

{{gwi:205582}}

{{gwi:205583}}

{{gwi:205584}}

Some of these are too small and the picture is misleading making it look gigantic. So if you recognize anything growing in any of these pictures, please let me know.

Thank you.

Comments (15)

• jeanne
    13 years ago

1 poppy
    2 Rudbeckia
    3 Rudbeckia and Lobelia
    4 poppy again
    5 Veronica persica, weed
    6 chickweed
    7 Veronica again
    8 weed that starts with an O, I'll look it up here in a moment.

• jeanne
    13 years ago

Never mind, the last one is Sonchus, sow thistle.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In 3, which one is lobelia? I did plant them, but didn't know if I planted them there, maybe they are wild. The little fuzzy thing in 3 is not thyme or oregano?

Thanks for the help, it does make things easy. I guess Robeckia is like a brown eyed susan, or is a brown eyed susan. Doesn't belong their though, so I'll take care of it.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Number 3 plants look a lot like this:

{{gwi:205586}}

It says the plant is an anise hyssop, but I ordered anise as it is, not anise hyssop. I planted all 4, American wild licorice, the commercial licorice, hyssop, and anise.

What do you think, the leaves are lighter green and more rounded. I tasted all of them, and none had a good taste. I have no idea what they are.

• Daisyduckworth
    13 years ago

In pic 1, the spiky-leafed rosette plant is probably mullein. There is a lot of oxalis growing amongst it all (looks like clover).

In pic 2, the hairy, spiky plant in the centre is borage.

In pic 3, it looks like spearmint, especially at the top of the pic.

Sorry, my eyesight isn't the greatest, so don't wager your life away on my IDs!

• theloud
    13 years ago

The plant that looks sort of like clover, with leaves divided into three leaflets, and yellow flowers, is a weed called oxalis. It's edible, although probably not good for you if you eat too much of it. It has a sour taste like sorrel, and adds a nice tartness to salads. I'd pull it all if I were you.

My general policy with gardening is to pull known weeds, and let unknown plants grow until I know them better.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

In pic 1 I have to contradict Daisy D. That's a poppy seedling. In pic 2 the frosted furry looking plant in the centre looks like chickweed, a weed. Pic 3 is the chickweed again with possibly borage around it and Oxalis. Pic 4 is another poopy with Oxalis and some sort of rhizomatous grass.(weed) 5 looks like a speedwell (weed) 6 is chickweed again (weed). 7 is speedwell again. 8 could be Sonchus.

Here's a simple suggestion. Take a leaf of any you can't identify, scrunch it up and sniff. Several of the plants you list will be scented even at the seedling stage: oregano, thyme, lavender, hyssop, peppermint, spearmint, lemon bergamot (do you mean lemon balm?) I've never grown licorice or savoury so I don't know if they'll have a scent. Yarrow will smell a bit as a mature plant but I've never sniffed a seedling!

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

To prove it's a poppy (not poopy!)seedling nip off a leaf. You will get an ooze of sap, white, or possibly yellow - can't remember.

• jeanne
    13 years ago

Scarletdaisies, the leaf on Lobelia siphilitica tapers into the stem, the plant in your follow up post has a cordate leaf, heart shaped with a distinct stem. The linked website has a good picture of a Lobelia siphilitica seedling.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grow Native!

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

The only other thing I can add is that immature leaves are tough to ID. They often do not look like the mature leaves nor do they often have strong herbal tastes and smells. Pull every that you know for certain and do not want - like the wood sorrel (oxalis) and the grass. Let some of the plants mature and check their ID's again. It will be so much easier with more mature leaves.

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I tasted them all, but they don't taste good or smell good. I'm trying to keep the clovers for groundcover, but the rest needs to go when I get time off.

The floods here in Tennessee have me the only one available for the elderly lady I sit with. I won't really be home again until Monday if things stay the same.

There are so many plants of the picture 3 plant, the one with the split leaf in the center right, I thought that one for sure was an herb.

Thanks for the help, I'll wait a little while before I pull the ones I'm not sure of, but crab grass and that little red stemmed vine can be pulled.

Thanks for the help.

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's a close up of chickweed,

{{gwi:205588}}

Chickweed doesn't look fuzzy like these do. Do you think they could be the thyme, licorice, or oregano?

{{gwi:205590}}

{{gwi:205592}}

This is a photo of lemon bergamot:

{{gwi:205594}}

Borage:

{{gwi:205596}}

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

SD there is more than one chickweed. What I id'd was mouse ear chickweed aka mouse ear aka Cerastium vulgatum. Your fuzzy seedlings are not thyme, licorice or oregano. Both thyme and oregano would be scented. Your last lot of photos contains some id errors. The final plant is Melissa officinalis aka lemon balm, not borage. The grey shrubby plant is Ballota pseudodictamnus. I'm not guessing or googling - I've grown these plants. I haven't grown 'bergamot' aka Monarda so I'm not commenting on it.

• fatamorgana2121
    13 years ago

FYI...The lemon bergamot is also called "lemon mint" - just to confuse everything. Its botanical name is Monarda citriodora. This might help if you need to look anything up about it.

Last picture is not borage. The last looks like lemon balm Melissa officinalis. I've included a picture of lemon balm and borage from my garden. I didn't have a good shot of the borage leaves but the picture shows just how hairy borage is - much more hairy than lemon balm.

Borage:
    {{gwi:205597}}

Lemon Balm:
    {{gwi:205598}}

FataMorgana

• scarletdaisies
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You guys would know and thank you for your help. Being paranoid, I'm going to leave them until they flower. I don't have any other weeds like the ones photographed, but only in the area where I planted herbs. They won't take up too much room and the real thing won't be far behind.

Thanks for letting me know. I lost the names I ordered my herbs from, so looking for their photo of the seed is lost.