Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privet like foliage unscented lilac like blooms

Posted by chervil2 z5 MA (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 9:33

I saw this beautiful shrub on Saturday in an old garden outside of Boston.

Image link: Privet like foliage unscented lilac like blooms (29 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privet like foliage unscented lilac like blooms

What do you mean by "privet type" foliage? Is it because the leaves are opposite one another? If so, it may be viburnum. The picture is too small to tell.

o

It really is very hard to see any identifying features in that picture, I'm afraid. Did you get any close ups of leaves or flowers? How many petals did the flowers have? How big was the shrub? The stems seem rather bald - is that the case?

o

Here is a link to Shutterfly and hope that will help. I took this one photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shutterfly link

o

Could you please respond as to why you consider the foliage to be "privet like"? Can you describe a leaf or the flower in more detail?

o

Privet like is not the best choice of words perhaps and I will substitute the terms bush-like,thin,and narrow. The Butterfly bush has similar foliage except the leaves are smaller. A flower head is comprised of individual blossums that remind me of flat lilac flowers.

o

I noticed that young azalea foliage has the same appearance. Could this be an azalea variety that has small flowers?

o

Please describe the arrangement of the leaves on the stem: opposite one another in pairs or alternately along the stem?

o
Alternately arranged

When I blow up my one photo I see an alternate arrangement of leaves along the stem.

o

There don't appear to be many leaves but those I can make out don't look like privet or buddleja.

Have a look at Google images for various Ledums and see what you think. Just a thought - it's not a genus I know. Some Ledums have been reclassified as Azaleas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here