Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becifer

Gaillardia seedlings?

becifer
9 years ago

We had a horrible winter this year and I had a snow bank on top of my garden all season. So far I'm only seeing my black eyed susan and my coreopsis emerging. I have 2 shasta daisies, an echinacea and a Gaillardia that have yet to make an appearance. I did a bit of digging and each plant came up easily and roots are brown. I'm guessing they're dead.

That said, I have a lot of these little seedlings sprouting up at the front of my garden. They look like Gaillardia seedlings to me, but they are spread out away from where the original plant was planted. They are scattered over a 2ft wide area and there has to be at least 20 of them.

Do you think this is Gaillardia and therefore leave them alone? Or are they just a weed and I should pull them out? It was a Gaillardia Arizona Reds plant. If it is Gaillardia, should I move the random seedlings that are off on their own closer together to make a larger clump?

I also have one seedling that looks like it could potentially be the echinacea. What is strange is that after digging, I can't find any roots for the original plant. It's like the plant just vanished and left me with one small seedling. I can't seem to upload 2 pics to one post, so i'll add this to a second post.

Thanks for your help