Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowering Shrub ID Help

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 10:49

I have this small shrub in my yard in a partly shaded north facing area. I'm wondering what it might be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowering Shrub ID Help

Mollis Azalea perhaps? Looks like it's suffering from your
limey Illinois soil. Acid plant food might help. If it's next
to your concrete foundation that makes the alkalinity worse.

o

Thanks, that does look like the images I'm finding now that I know what to search for. It is next to the old limestone foundation. I've been wanting to get some soil test kits, and I appreciate the info.

vince

o

yes it should be moved away from the foundation and fed according to to salt cedar's recommendation. use plenty of well rotted organic matter in the planting hole for a happy plant. a steady supply of moisture is essential too, dry roots is the kiss of death for this one, very drought sensitive.

o

More great info, thanks again! It is on the north facing side of the house, mulched in good soil and somewhat sheltered from the western winds but still gets afternoon sun from 12-7 or so. I'll make sure to test the soil and keep a closer eye on the moisture.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:38

Probably not a Mollis type with those flowers.

o

Hmm, I'm always impressed with bboy's replies, so maybe it isn't a Mollis. But the flowers do look pretty close to what Google finds when I search for images. Maybe a hybrid of some type?

o

is this one you dragged around with your truck.. or was it there forever ...

if those are brilliant orange flowers.. compare at link .... exbury azalea

i have a bag of hollytone.. which i put around my two .. and one rhodie ...

this one is not all that aggressive ... mine have been at about 2 to 3 feet for 12 years ...

and though i am loathe about planting that close to a foundation.. i doubt the thing will ever get much bigger ...

they are rather the foo of the foo ... and i wouldnt move it .... but if you insist.. when dormant ... as it is deciduous.. at least for me in MI ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Ahh, my savior replies....

It's tough to compare the flowers exactly, but it does also look like an Exbury Azalea. I think either way it's an Azalea, and it's been there since before I bought the house 3.5 years ago.

And I've no interest in moving it, so it's time to get me a big bag of that stuff you call Hollytone, and it'll probably also make my rhodies perk up a bit too.

Thanks!

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here