Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is it ...and what's wrong with it??

Posted by DaveMc2014 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:42

Hi - trying to understand what's wrong with this plant - never really thrived - quite the opposite but it seems to be getting worse. Don't know what it is so it's hard to understand what soil it should be in etc. Any ideas / help welcomed.

This post was edited by DaveMc2014 on Sun, May 4, 14 at 11:52

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is it ...and what's wrong with it??

Your pic didn't upload.

o

It could be Eryobotria japonica - Loquat. It looks as if someone has been trying to grow it as a wall shrub or climber and it isn't one. It's a tree. Although hardy in mild climates, as a broadleaved evergreen with quite large leaves, it can take a battering in the winter, especially if you have salt laden coastal air. The new growth looks OK.

Although the tree itself is hardy in much of the British Isles we seldom get fruit.

o

Thanks floral_uk - appreciate the insights. Yes, the new growth looks ok but seems to follow a similar fate as the main body after time. I'll do some research on this and see if it's in the right soil, shaded area etc. If it was a case that it needed treatment then I'm more than happy to address but if it's just not right for the area then I'll put something else in.

thanks again.

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 15:49

The Eryobotria japonica in Botanical Garden at Antwerp, Belgium did also get a real battering last year but last winter was mild and the shrub revived well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here