Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redthreaddiy

New House, New Plants. What are they?

redthreaddiy
11 years ago

The woman got foreclosed on and was a plant hoarder. I would say hundreds of thousands of plants. However, here's a few just to start us off :)

1. Hasn't bloomed yet: {{gwi:214461}}

2. {{gwi:214463}}{{gwi:214465}}

3. {{gwi:214467}}

4. {{gwi:214469}}{{gwi:214471}}

5. {{gwi:214473}}{{gwi:214475}}{{gwi:214477}}

6. {{gwi:214479}}{{gwi:214481}}{{gwi:214482}}

7. {{gwi:214484}}{{gwi:214486}}

8. {{gwi:214487}}

Thanks so much!

Comments (16)

• jaynine
    11 years ago

1 arum;2 solomon's seal;3 angelica?;4 kerria;5 calycanthus;6 rosa;7 wood hyacinth;8 star of bethlehem;9 comfrey;12 smilax

• theplantwizard
    11 years ago

13 looks like Ulmus americana.

• fatamorgana2121
    11 years ago

What a treasure you have. Make sure to mark/label the plants you know and learn. It will be helpful in your maintenance of the gardens and to love the wonderful plants you have.

2. solomon's seal, Polygonatum biflorum
    3. & 11 are the same plant. It's not angelica.
    5. carolina allspice, Calycanthus floridus
    6. Rugosa rose - when it blooms (which is most of the growing season), it will help you to ID the variety. The hips are some of the beauty of these roses so don't dead head.
    8. Star of Bethlehem, Ornithogalum umbellatum
    9. Comfrey, Symphytum officinale

1. Slippery elm, Ulmus rubra perhaps?

FataMorgana

• lycopus
    11 years ago

#12 looks like Rhamnus cathartica

#3 resembles a Heracleum sp.

The fringed margin on the fruit of #13 suggests Ulmus americana

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

What a fabulous adventure! There are so many great plants in those pictures but all mixed in with stuff you might not be so keen on. Please promise you will id everything before digging anything up? I see paeonies galore there in the background.

10 looks like a Fritillaria in which case you are a very lucky person! Maybe F pallidiflora?? But it has bracken growing through it.

I agree that 3 and 11 look like Heracleum, Maybe Heracleum mantegazzianum. In which case not such a lucky person.

Not convinced no 1 is an Arum. Wait for the flower and show us again, please.

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

I think #1 might be Nectaroscordum. You'll know when it opens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nectaroscordum

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I 'm heartbroken for that woman. We don 't usually call people like this hoarders but plant collectors. This person was obviously very knowledgeable. The new owner of this property is very fortunate.

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

rhizo - thank you for putting into words the feelings I've been having since I first saw this post.

• buckeye15
    11 years ago

I feel bad for the lady who got foreclosed on. But she had some great taste in plants. I would venture a guess that there are a lot more treasures you haven't showed us yet.

Most of these plants have been correctly identified, but I just wanted to make a comment or 2 about # 3 and 11. They definitely appear to be Heracleum species. It may be H. mantegazzianum (Giant Hogweed). If it is, that is a plant that is on the federal noxious weed list, and has no place in a residential landscape. More likely it is H. maximum (cow parsnip), which is native to Michigan.

Either way, take extreme caution around these plants. Both have a phototoxin in the sap that can cause a very severe dermatitis that can cause very painful sores that last for weeks or months. Be very careful and don't get the sap on your skin and expose it to sunlight.

• User
    11 years ago

No 7. Have a look at Spanish Bluebell, Hyacinthoides hispanica images.

Dee

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Just wanted to agree with Rhizo and the others. You have inherited a real labour of love garden there. Quite a responsibility, like moving into an historic but dilapidated home.

I would repeat, please come back to us any time for further ids. Any way you can contact the previous owner for advice? She was clearly a knowledgeable plantswoman and might be happy to learn that someone sympathetic was caring for her garden.

• jeanne
    11 years ago

In the background of the first picture, from 3:00 to 6:00 is several puny Peony plants slowly being strangled by Virginia Creeper and Goldenrod. If you could move those to full sun that would be a good thing. Most people suggest moving Peonies in fall but now would be better for those particular plants, they aren't going to bloom in the state they are in now anyway.

The middle picture in the Rose montage suggests Rose Rosette Disease, the side shoots coming from the main stem are enlarged and hyper prickly. That's a serious disease that's lethal to the Rose and spreads quickly. If you have other Roses in the collection you'll want to read up and RRD and remove any infected plants.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, the Star-of-Bethlehem is a weed.

Congrats on your new garden. Hopefully the previous gardener got to take starts of her favorites with her. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures.

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Jeanne, I can't agree on the rose being diseased. It's R rugosa and that's what they look like. It seems perfectly healthy to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa rugosa

• jeanne
    11 years ago

Flora, the stem in that link shows side branches that are the same diameter or smaller, those side branches also either maintain their thorniness or become less thorny. Not the other way around.

Regardless of whether or not this particular specimen is infected, if the OP wants to grow Roses in Michigan she should aquaint herself with basic facts on RRD.

• redthreaddiy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If anyone could direct me in how to figure out if the rose is diseased or not, that would be great! There are tons of them everywhere.

• Carrie B
    11 years ago

The rose looks fine to me. I've attached a link to information on Rose Rosette Disease, a Google search will turn up lots of information and images of what it looks like. I see it a lot in my work, and the rose you've pictured has no sign of it that I can see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette Disease

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert