Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mint Variety?

Posted by Kendra zone 5/ nw Montana (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 12:47

While working in the stream that feeds our pond, my husband found a lot of this plant growing (see image). The leaves smell like mint when rubbed, but I don't recall if mints I've grown in the past have the purple underside. Is this indeed mint and, if so, what variety?

This post was edited by Kendra on Mon, May 12, 14 at 13:24

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mint Variety?

if i would be using such for medicine.. i would be buying a named variety from a professional... rather than finding it in a ditch.. and hoping some stranger IDs it properly ...

ken

o

I would appreciate helpful responses, not snide and condescending remarks. Obviously, I need to revise my posting to avoid such commentary.

o

I am not familiar with the mint species escaped in your area. Around here it would fit the description of Mentha x piperita (purple stem, growing in moving water), but it is easier to tell when they are in flower. Most true mint (Mentha spp.) are edible, however I know of at least one that is toxic in quantity (Mentha pulegium).

o

Looks like the mint I found growing wild at the edge of running water today here in Western NY State. Very minty and pleasant!

It is very good advice to come back for an id when the plant is blooming and/or the foliage is more mature. Early spring identification can be tough because young plants and leaves don't always have the same appearance as the mature ones.

FataMorgana

o

Thank you for your responses. You've given me a good starting point. I'll look into mentha x piperita and be sure to come back after they've flowered and/or the leaves are more mature.

o

Since you are brand new to these forums, you can be cut some slack, but your response to Ken was completely uncalled for. He is a longtime and enthusiastic contributor to these forums and everything he posts is done with the best of intentions. And to be totally frank, his advice to you is spot on!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here