Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any ideas what these are?

Posted by Louise123456789 none (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 13:00

Hi there

I've just moved into a new place and I'm not sure what I should be pulling up and what I should be leaving!!! Just wondering if anyone knows what these are??

Thanks!!

Louise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any ideas what these are?

Looks like Circaea lutetiana

o

Yes - aka Enchanters Nightshade. You need to pull them up but be warned there will be a network of white roots below the surface which is difficult to completely get rid of.

o

Ah thanks!!! Sounds like a lot of weeding as it's spreading!! At least I know what to do with it now though!!

o
not for everyone, but it works for me...

Circaea may not be for everyone
but in my humble opinion she does have her place.
In my shade, deer and rabbit, black walnut, wildlife/wooland garden, there are spots that i will leave her to do her thing.
Very helpful filling in areas that garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata) would otherwise take over.

as I mentioned, it’s not for everyone
but I wanted to leave this info here for folks that may find this plant useful in their situation.

from
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/enchanter_ns.htm:

Faunal Associations: The nectar and pollen of the flowers attract small bees, including Halictid bees (Lasioglossum spp.) and little carpenter bees (Ceratina spp.); they are also visited by Syrphid flies and bee flies (Bombyliidae). The caterpillars of a moth, Mompha terminella (Enchanter's Cosmet), are blotch leaf-miners. Birds and mammals help to distribute the seeds, as the small bur-like fruits can cling to feathers and fur; these fruits can cling to the clothing of humans as well. Deer occasionally browse on the foliage of Enchanter's Nightshade.,\

/end soapbox ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: Connecticut Botanical Society - Enchanters Nightshade

o

If you have plenty of space and a wild area it is fine. In the average tiny British garden it is a total pain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here