Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrubs in front of the house

Posted by scinocco Colorado (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 14 at 13:16

Can someone please help me identify the three shrubs in front of the house? They were here when we moved in and I want to know more about them so I can decide what to do with them. I think they thrive on full sun( the small one is in the shade of a tree far more than the other two) we live in Colorado Springs. Usually around this time of year some small white flowers appear on the bigger ones, although that didn't happen this year. Thanks in advanced!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrubs in front of the house

Front one looks like barberry. Does it have spines?

Back ones are too far away for me to tell. Close up of leaves would help a lot.

o

if there is barberry ... odds are.. they are backed with privet .... the standard planting scheme of the 60's and 70's in most of suburbia...

what to do with them... get rid of them ...

they are old.. overgrown.. not in prime sun... and crikey.. in front of the house .. not really a place for a renovation project ...

if privet.. you can probably cut them to 6 inches ... if you dont want to improve the front of the house

ken

o

Agree with Ken, privet's invasive to boot. Heck, if that's japanese barberry, also invasive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here