Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bushy Plant with Magenta spikes

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 9b (My Page) on
Mon, May 5, 14 at 13:50

We have many mystery plants on our property. This one is beautiful. Can you tell me what it is?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks so much!

Suzi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bushy Plant with Magenta spikes

Buddleia.

o

Wow! You nailed it! Thanks for the ID. There are many varieties in other colors, and I plan to plant a few others on this slope. I researched and I can take cuttings and grow extras that way. Thanks!

Suzi

o

You might want to read up on the plant's potential invasive status where you live before making a decision on whether to plant it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleja

o

Thanks! It seems to have been there for years. It's established. We have 1.5 acres of slope, and we are in a dry climate, and it gets some water where it is planted.

Your link said it gets invasive near streams or riverbeds. I only see one large plant on our slope and it sure is pretty! I wouldn't mind having other colors near it.

Suzi

o

Most buddleias look better with hard annual pruning to force new vigorous growth and maintain larger flower spikes.

Keep an eye out for butterflies around this plant.

o

Buddleia davidii Butterfly bush can be an invasive species. Check with your local cooperative extension to determine which species you may be growing. There are cultivars that are considered non-invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-Invasive Buddleia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here