Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdance

Bushy Plant with Magenta spikes

We have many mystery plants on our property. This one is beautiful. Can you tell me what it is?

{{gwi:217952}}

Thanks so much!

Suzi

Comments (6)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Buddleia.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! You nailed it! Thanks for the ID. There are many varieties in other colors, and I plan to plant a few others on this slope. I researched and I can take cuttings and grow extras that way. Thanks!

Suzi

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

You might want to read up on the plant's potential invasive status where you live before making a decision on whether to plant it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buddleja

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks! It seems to have been there for years. It's established. We have 1.5 acres of slope, and we are in a dry climate, and it gets some water where it is planted.

Your link said it gets invasive near streams or riverbeds. I only see one large plant on our slope and it sure is pretty! I wouldn't mind having other colors near it.

Suzi

• larry_gene
    9 years ago

Most buddleias look better with hard annual pruning to force new vigorous growth and maintain larger flower spikes.

Keep an eye out for butterflies around this plant.

• TulsaRose
    9 years ago

Buddleia davidii Butterfly bush can be an invasive species. Check with your local cooperative extension to determine which species you may be growing. There are cultivars that are considered non-invasive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-Invasive Buddleia