Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help With Dianthus

Posted by EricaBraun 9b CA (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 14:22

I know that this is a perennial dianthus. It's been growing in my yard for many years. Does anyone happen to know what variety it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help With Dianthus

Anyone?

o

if it were in my garden I would just call it "the violet and white one" lol

o

Lol. That sounds about right.

o

since you know what the plant is ... then the botanists job is done ....

so you might try the growers.. in the perennial forum ... and you might find someone who knows the cultivar name.. rather than the larger group name ..

you never know.. where you will find the answer .. so dont just give up here ...

ken

o

Or do a Google Images search for Dianthus...see link below. Your pretty flowers are featured almost immediately. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Dianthus

o

It is quite possible that it has no specific cultivar name. Strains of mixed seeds produce many different colours and combinations and they are not named.

o

floral_uk, I did not realize that. Thank you so very much for the invaluable information. I had looked and looked at different dianthus pictures before posting here and, although I found some similar, I was unable to find any that were a true match. Much thanks!

o

Looks similar to 'Ideal Violet Picotee'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here