Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tarragon-like weed ID, please

Posted by myrmayde 5b Western Montana (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 14:23

Could anyone please help me identify this weed? It looks like tarragon, but it definitely isn't. It's stems are softer, curlier, and more succulent than tarragon. It pulls out easily and has gotten a foot tall before I've pulled it. I asked on the Weeds forum but haven't gotten an answer. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tarragon-like weed ID, please

• Posted by myrmayde 5b Western Montana (My Page) on
    Thu, May 29, 14 at 15:12

Here's another view of it.

o

Could it be plain 'ole Kochia scoparia?

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:19

I keep leaning towards one of the fireweeds (weedy epilobium) but I'm not quite sure.

o

Thanks for replying. I don't think it's Kochia scoparia, because the leaves are smooth, not fuzzy, and it doesn't seem to have a taproot. I don't think it's fireweed either. It doesn't look like the photos of immature fireweed. The stems are red when it's small. I haven't seen it flower. When young, it's smooth, soft, flexible but brittle.

o

Horseweed?

o

Thanks, river_city, I don't think it's horseweed either. It doesn't grow vertically like horseweed seems to. The stems are curvy and it looks like the shape of a tree. They might end up being what I call tumbleweeds around here. I never see them with any green on them, just dry, stiff, pale tan multi-branched mini-trees rolling around. (Not the same as what most of the country calls tumbleweeds.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here