Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID please?

Posted by peejaysayshi CT (My Page) on
Sat, May 31, 14 at 15:34

This kind of looks like a boxwood to me, but it is wayyyy more spindly and thin than any picture I can find online. It also doesn't seem to have the smell that I see references to, sort of like cat pee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID please?

A close up..

o

An Ilex of some kind, I believe, but I don't know Hollies at all.

o

Looks like an Ilex crenata variety. There are many named ones. They also pop up in our local wooded areas.

They can take some pruning. Now would be a good time, so don't be timid. They'll get more dense with at least 4-5 hours of sun.

This post was edited by dave_in_nova on Sat, May 31, 14 at 18:35

o

Yes, one of the Asian hollies. Very attractive to bees when those flowers open up, but they only flower for about 2 weeks.

o

Did a lot of searching and it definitely looks like Ilex crenata, even though I've never noticed berries or flowers.. I must have just missed them.

Thank you so much!

o

There appear to be flower buds in your photo!

o

Or maybe those are the berries just developing, I can't tell.

o

At this time of year, those are flower buds. Flowers are very inconspicuous when they do bloom and it is typically only the bee activity that signals the flowers are open. As is common with hollies, there are both male and female plants so berries may never be present if this is a male clone.

btw, Japanese holly takes very well to pruning if you wanted to restrain some of that leggy growth..

o

look at the spring green shoot growth .. looks like it is at least a foot per year ...

learn how to prune it fast... or you wont be looking out that window in a few years ..

which may or may not be a problem.. depending on the view ...

and with that growth potential... you should understand.. that it was planted a few feet too close to the house ... since you dont know what it is.. i am hoping the prior owner made that mistake ...

head to teh shrub forum.. if you want to followup on all this ....

hi pj ... took me a minute to figure that out.. lol ...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here