Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low growing deciduous vine or shrub, alternate leaves

Posted by Babblegail 7 (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 15:46

This volunteer came up my garden last year, in Maryland, in the shade under a maple. This is a current picture. It's got no interest in growing upright, no central trunk, just arching woody bits, but isn't trying to climb or strangle anything either, so I'm going with 'shrub'. No flowers the first year, so no additional ID information.

What is it? Is it native (otherwise it's getting dug out)? Any help appreciated, thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low growing deciduous vine or shrub, alternate leaves

It looks like some type of nightshade, Solanum spp.

o

Thank you. I'll see if flowering confirms that, but it sounds like a good lead. Not native but not considered invasive around here. I'll probably yank it for something native though, because it sounds like it will spread out too much for the neighboring plants.

o

i thought DEADLY nightshade also ...

whether its native or not.. it is poisonous .. and has pretty little berries that can attract kids ... not a good equation if you have such around ...

the birds sow billions of them for me every year .. i simply dont see an upside to them ...

thank God you arent one of those .. i want to eat all the weeds in my yard peeps.. and asked first ...

ken

o

Now, now, Ken, every year we have to have the DEADLY nightshade lecture. This one is Bittersweet or Woody Nightshade, Solanum dulcamara, not Deadly Nightshade. Deadly nightshade, just for confusion, is not even a Solanum but is Atropa beladonna. Now remember this carefully. Don't want to have to repeat the lesson next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here