Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A weed and a Bloom

Posted by Leekle2ManE Lady Lake, FL 9a (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 16:15

Since I know that those of you who frequent this forum crave identifying uncountable plants for little more than a joy of saying "I know what it is!" and with little more than a 'Thank you' as compensation for your time and knowledge, I have come to you folks with two plants that I would love to get names for.

The first is a 'weed' that came up in... well... the right place. While I did not plant this, it came up in just the right spot to kind of anchor this bed of salvia and herbs. Looking at the stems and they way they 'sucker' as well as the hairy nature of the stems, I get the feeling this is somehow related to tomatoes. But about 2 miles from me there is a huge patch of this stuff growing on the side of the road and I have seen it growing in one other yard in my neighborhood. So I don't think it really IS a tomato, just related to them.

This second appears to be a vine of some sort, but could be just a leggy shrub. I couldn't really get a good angle on the foliage as it got mixed up with some other plants in this 'bed' (Which is little more than an twelve inch wide sliver of dirt between the skirting and the driveway. Not my house either). But the bloom is so eye-catching and unique that hopefully it alone can be enough for someone.

And just for the record, I really do appreciate the fact that you folk are willing to share your knowledge with people you don't know. Among other things, this is one point that keeps me coming back to GardenWeb time and again... and not just for IDs. A big 'Thank You' in advance for your assistance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A weed and a Bloom

The first looks like common ragweed, Ambrosia artemisiifolia.
The second is a Gloriosa lily.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gloriosa

o
RE: A weed and a Bloom

Thank you so very, very much. While I have kind of enjoyed that ragweed where it is growing... trying to sleep next to my wife while here sinuses are enraged is nigh impossible... so this will be pulled posthaste and added to the compost bin before it decides to start blooming.

Thank you also for the lily identification. I will do some research on it and figure out the possibility of somehow propagating this one. Though, if it requires cross-pollination to create viable seeds, I might have look elsewhere, since they only seem to have the one plant... but that's something I will have to read up on and find out. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here