Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Phlox? Dianthus? Candytuft?

dedtired
9 years ago

There is an ongoing debate on my local Facebook gardening page about the identity of this plant. The stems look like dianthus to me but the flower looks more like phlox. Any guesses?

Comments (22)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's another view. We are outside Philadelphia.

• linaria_gw
    9 years ago

Looks like 2 different plants, first pic is probably Cerastium tomentosa, growing next to some other (Vinca perhaps)

The second pic, with much darker foliage, is probably Iberis sempervirens ( candytuft?)

Did you take both pics yourself?

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, they are someone else's pictures. What is the common name for Ceratium tomentosa?

Yes, that looks like vinca to the side. I should have been more specific and said the flowering plant. To me the stems look like dianthus but the flower looks like phlox.

• carol23_gw
    9 years ago

Cerastium tomentosum, Snow in Summer. Don't know why it's called that because it flowers in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cerastium tomentosum

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carol23, I think you've got it! Thank you so much.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Linaria, thank you, too. You are both good.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Agree that the second photo is Iberis.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both photos are of the same plant, but the first also shows some vinca. Nice to meet you, carrieb, a fellow Philadelphian.

• calliope
    9 years ago

No, they are not the same plant. Not only is the foliage different, but the plant in the first picture has flowers born singularly, not so in the second. The flowers in the second picture have flowers born in umbels. The second picture is iberis, but the first is not and like the others suggested, it does appear to be snow in summer. I grow both in my gardens.

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

My thought on the first picture is that it's one of the dianthus deltoides.

• shadeyplace
    9 years ago

first picture, I agree with dianthus.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, thanks. Maybe that is why everyone is arguing over the identity. The person who posted the original photos on Facebook swears it is the same plant, but who knows, maybe he just thinks it is. I appreciate your help!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another shot from his garden. Is this one Snow in Summer?

• jeanne
    9 years ago

Yes.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Again -- thanks.

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

Dedtired - are you in the city of Philadelphia, or out in the 'burbs (or one of the "burb-ish" neighborhoods that are technically city, but not really?)

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Carrie, I am "north and east" of the city as they say in the weather reports. Just over City Line Avenue, 12 miles from City Hall. Love the city and I was born not far from Rittenhouse Square. I worked in center city for many years. You?

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I'm in south Philly! Definitely urban gardening for me. A mile (?) from city hall.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Whatever the original poster says they are two different species.

The first plant is one hundred percent Cerastium tomentosum. The only connection with Dianthus is that they are both in the family Caryophylaceae.

The second is equally definitely Iberis sempervirens.

They are two of the most ubiquitous spring flowering garden plants in my climate and I have known them all my life.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, South Philly. That is a lively area! I just love our city, especially in this season.

Okay, I asked my friend if that could be two different plants (pics 1 and 2) and he admits they could be. He pulled up a picture he had taken previously and now says its two different plants. So sorry for the confusion but he was most curious about the snow in summer.

Floral_UK, I would love to go on a garden tour in your country.

I am impressed with your knowledge.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Come on over! The sun is actually out at the moment and I have to admit it does look quite nice.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Be careful what you say, Floral. I may just be there. Well, one day I really will. Soon I hope.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks