Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phlox? Dianthus? Candytuft?

Posted by dedtired Eastern USA (My Page) on
Sat, May 17, 14 at 16:29

There is an ongoing debate on my local Facebook gardening page about the identity of this plant. The stems look like dianthus to me but the flower looks more like phlox. Any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phlox? Dianthus? Candytuft?

Here's another view. We are outside Philadelphia.

o

Looks like 2 different plants, first pic is probably Cerastium tomentosa, growing next to some other (Vinca perhaps)

The second pic, with much darker foliage, is probably Iberis sempervirens ( candytuft?)

Did you take both pics yourself?

o

No, they are someone else's pictures. What is the common name for Ceratium tomentosa?

Yes, that looks like vinca to the side. I should have been more specific and said the flowering plant. To me the stems look like dianthus but the flower looks like phlox.

o

Cerastium tomentosum, Snow in Summer. Don't know why it's called that because it flowers in spring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cerastium tomentosum

o

Carol23, I think you've got it! Thank you so much.

o

Oh, Linaria, thank you, too. You are both good.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, May 17, 14 at 21:55

Agree that the second photo is Iberis.

o

Both photos are of the same plant, but the first also shows some vinca. Nice to meet you, carrieb, a fellow Philadelphian.

o

No, they are not the same plant. Not only is the foliage different, but the plant in the first picture has flowers born singularly, not so in the second. The flowers in the second picture have flowers born in umbels. The second picture is iberis, but the first is not and like the others suggested, it does appear to be snow in summer. I grow both in my gardens.

o

My thought on the first picture is that it's one of the dianthus deltoides.

o

first picture, I agree with dianthus.

o

Okay, thanks. Maybe that is why everyone is arguing over the identity. The person who posted the original photos on Facebook swears it is the same plant, but who knows, maybe he just thinks it is. I appreciate your help!

o

Another shot from his garden. Is this one Snow in Summer?

o

Yes.

o

Again -- thanks.

o

Sun, May 18, 14 at 12:00

Dedtired - are you in the city of Philadelphia, or out in the 'burbs (or one of the "burb-ish" neighborhoods that are technically city, but not really?)

o

Hi Carrie, I am "north and east" of the city as they say in the weather reports. Just over City Line Avenue, 12 miles from City Hall. Love the city and I was born not far from Rittenhouse Square. I worked in center city for many years. You?

o

Sun, May 18, 14 at 12:19

I'm in south Philly! Definitely urban gardening for me. A mile (?) from city hall.

o

Whatever the original poster says they are two different species.

The first plant is one hundred percent Cerastium tomentosum. The only connection with Dianthus is that they are both in the family Caryophylaceae.

The second is equally definitely Iberis sempervirens.

They are two of the most ubiquitous spring flowering garden plants in my climate and I have known them all my life.

o

Hmm, South Philly. That is a lively area! I just love our city, especially in this season.

Okay, I asked my friend if that could be two different plants (pics 1 and 2) and he admits they could be. He pulled up a picture he had taken previously and now says its two different plants. So sorry for the confusion but he was most curious about the snow in summer.

Floral_UK, I would love to go on a garden tour in your country.

I am impressed with your knowledge.

o

Come on over! The sun is actually out at the moment and I have to admit it does look quite nice.

o

Be careful what you say, Floral. I may just be there. Well, one day I really will. Soon I hope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here