Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please I.D. a Tree

Posted by Deeby 9b (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 17:26

When I was a child in the early 1960's, in southern California, there was a tree up the street from my Grandma's house that dropped large pods on the sidewalk. The pods were hard, dry or dried out, shaped like a canoe, dark brown and about three inches long. The pods were open, like a canoe's inside. They hurt when stepped on with bare feet. I think there was yellowish fiber-y stuff on the inside but I'm not sure.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please I.D. a Tree

This?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brachychiton populneus

o

That's kind of it, but the pod was darker and hard, like a Brazil nut. Usually the pods were empty. Any other ideas?

o

Now that I think of it, that may be the one. I Googled and that tree, though a native of Australia, is used as an ornamental in California, and prefers heat and clay soil which is what conditions were in my grandmother's neighborhood. Maybe the mystery is solved ! Thanks !

o

Often Brachy species seed pods hang on the tree for a long time before falling. Sometimes at least till the next year's flowering, and when the trees flower they are often bare or semi-bare of leaves here, which makes it look like they are on flame but inhabited by lots of tiny black bats! By the time the remaining pods fall, the seed has usually disappeared either from shrinking and falling out, or having been eaten by insects. But that furry (and irritatingly stingy) yellow pod lining sometimes remains.

o

What I remember most was running up the sidewalk barefoot and coming down hard on a pod. OUCH.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here