Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntlavender_gw

Low growing plant with runners

auntlavender
9 years ago

This sends out runners on top of the ground and new plants form off of them.

Comments (15)

• rosco_p
    9 years ago

Looks like Virginia Creeper to me. Ross.

• ladygladys
    9 years ago

I have the same plant and was told it is poison ivy on this forum so be careful!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Here's one page that compares VC with PI. There are others, if you search on "compare virginia creeper and poison ivy"

Here is a link that might be useful: VC vs. PI

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, well I am in the heart of Chicago and poison ivy isn't very common in our yards. I will check out the comparison now. Thanks for all responses.

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    9 years ago

According to the comparison, mine is poison ivy! I'm shocked. I've never heard of it growing here.

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Very pretty form of it!

• Carrie B
    9 years ago

I do not think it is poison ivy (a plant I see almost daily.) I believe it to be the juvenile foliage of Boston ivy or Virginia creeper.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I'm chuckling, because I started some Boston ivy by seed one year and wondered how in the hay a commercial seed company packaged poison ivy by mistake. It really is a ringer for poison ivy. Do you have mature Boston ivy nearby? But then again, birds do eat and then pass out seeds over some distance. Ivy of all types can cause dermatitis to some folks, so regardless handle it with respect, just in case.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Plant on this thread is a Parthenocissus.

• calliope
    9 years ago

I suspect it is too, bboy

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

I agree that it's definitely not poison ivy. Here's a link to a Perdue page that has a photo (click on it to enlarge) that shows juvenile foliage of Boston ivy AKA Parthenocissus tricuspidata that specifically states that it is often confused with PI. It's not quite as new as yours, so not as reddish and shiny. The blog linked further up is focussed on native and naturalized plants, so since (in my area at least) Boston ivy doesn't readily naturalize, it isn't included.

I have Virginia creeper and PI growing on my property and Boston ivy nearby, so am familiar with all 3 plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: juvenile Boston Ivy foliage

This post was edited by nhbabs on Tue, May 20, 14 at 7:55

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hey now, I'll take a few more pics when I get home, thanks for the suggestion that it might NOT be poison ivy--now I have to find something for it to climb!

• ladygladys
    9 years ago

auntlavender, I hope you don't mind that I am coat-tailing you thread/post, but I am starting to think that the others are right about it being Boston Ivy. Here is a picture of mine on the fence. I so hope it is not poison ivy that scares the beejeezus out of me!

This post was edited by ladygladys on Tue, May 20, 14 at 19:50

• Iris GW
    9 years ago

Well, I'm happy to wrong on this.

• auntlavender
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well whatever it is, esh-ga, we both have it---mine and yours both have the same toothy leaves!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting