Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the tall shrub in this pic

Posted by tc2013 ontario (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 18:07

Can anyone recognize the taller shrubs that are on the ends? The leaves have not come out yet cause its spring, but I can tell you that the leaves are greenish yellow in colour in the summer.

I know that there is one particular plant in the neighbourhood that I have loved for the last couple of years. I drove around a few days ago and I think its the one in the above pic. But are there other shrubs/bushes that are dense and have small yellow leaves. I'm looking for a new plant for my backyard and I would like something pretty that also provides privacy (without flowers or fruits - don't want to deal with bees/bugs).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the tall shrub in this pic

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 16, 13 at 21:10

Badly pruned and too far away.

o

Vicary Privet.....Ligustrum x. vicaryi.

o

Thank you for the id. I've googled vicary privet and I'm pretty sure thats the one. Thanks!

o

I'm still looking for something for my backyard. I've posted my question on another forum. If anyone can suggest something, I'd appreciate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Looking for a tall-shrub/small-tree

o

Wichita Blue Juniper? I'm of a mind one needs privacy 12 months a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wichita Blue Juniper

o

Thanks saltcedar!
I agree with you on privacy but I love the rustling of leaves in summer time. Since summers in Ontario are so short and that is the time when we really do enjoy our backyard, I do want to get some summer plants.

o

You have a point about the leaves, but having grown up in the
upper Midwest I never understood the desire to look at bare
branches all Winter. Now I have mostly evergreen plants that
have more "Winter interest" than any deciduous plant ever had.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 20, 13 at 18:35

Can't beat quaking aspen for rustling.

Or quaking.

o

@saltcedar. We are not home much during the day to truly enjoy the evergreens in the backyard. But I do see your point.

@bboy. I googled quaking aspen and I've looked at some pics. Although I'm not certain, I think those are the trees that are behind our backyard fence growing in the wild area. They are always 'shimmering' even when there is no breeze. I absolutely love them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here