Sat, May 24, 14 at 18:20

It's growing in a patch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looks familiar but I cannot place it

burdock?

o

Uh oh--those are giant--and trouble if I remember correctly.

o

Doesn't look like burdock to me.

o

It's burdock. They start all innocent-looking before becoming absolute thugs. I am battling them in my garden beds currently. If you don't get 'em while they're young, their taproot goes clear down to China. :(

o

Could we have a picture from further back and with something to show scale? I'm not totally convinced by Burdock since we can't see any stems, the true size or the habit.

o

I thought it wasn't burdock either, but then went outside to check stuff on our property that I know is burdock, and I'm pretty sure now that it is. Young leaves look exactly like that.

o

Here's the shot from further back.

o

Brunnera?

o

The mystery plant is the light green leaf on the left. The dark geeen on the right is forget-me-not--I planted some from a friends yard last year (about 10 feet away from this patch). Since forget-me-nots are biennial, i thought the difference in color could be because the darker is two seasons old and flowering. I was wondering if it might be those, and not burdock afterall. Someone on this thread suggested brunnera, which is very close to forget-me-not.

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sun, May 25, 14 at 18:58

Auntlavendar - the photo on the left (darker green) looks very much like brunnera. Definitely not forget-me-not (myosotis.)

o

That didn't occur to me until now--I know the brunnera, myosotosis, and cynoglossum all have very similar flowers, but I just peered at the flowers and noticed the little yellow eye is missing--it's more white. My friend told me his plants are forget-me-nots, I just assumed he knew.

The irony is that I sowed package after package of both myosotis and cynoglossum when I moved here with not even a single sprout taking. I so want the new patch to be brunnera and not burdock--but it just occurred to me that there are NONE of these "new" seedlings where the mature plant is. So it is likely burdock (though there has been none around in awhile).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here