Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Charming Rose

Posted by vogue_x 9 (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 19:31

I came across this lovely rose growing alongside a highway next to an abandoned pasture. I often see 'Seven Sisters' and other multifloras growing and blooming up in the trees along roads but never this. Any Ideas? I think it may be a Wichuriana hybrid due to the sprawling/rambling habit. It seems to stay rather close to the ground, sending up 2' canes which end up falling under their weight and sprouting roots.The flowers fade to pure white a day or two after blooming. I took some cuttings which should be rooted by now. Is it a named cultivar? Any comments are welcome. I posted this in the rose identification forum with no luck..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Charming Rose

The flowers fade to white a day or two after opening

o

you dont have a scale... nor flower size.. but i might suggest 'the fairy' .. at the link ...

i think there is a rather active rose forum.. there are so many named plants.. you need the collectors to have a chance to sort them out.. rather than botanists ... but you never know... sometimes even a hosta/conifer guy might get lucky ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

The flowers were about an inch in diameter, the entire plant was spead about ten ft. in each direction. I am currently leaning towards the cultivar 'Clotilde Soupert' due to the sheer number of petals and how closely knit they are, also the color is spot on. I can't find any referenced on the size of blooms from Clotilde Soupert... The search continues.

o

'The Fairy' seems to have quite a bit of variation, but the link to the picture seems to be it. Thank you for sending me in the right direction. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fairy

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 14 at 2:25

Different petal structure for that one and pinker coloring. Try the GW rose identification forum. Note the instructions in the FAQ section there.

o

Is the top picture a single cluster of blooms or are there several in a vase?

o

The photo is of maybe 2 or 3 individual clusters of flowers.

This post was edited by vogue_x on Thu, May 22, 14 at 13:33

o

bboy, I tried the rose identification forum with no luck. I figure I might as well try here :)

o

Does Cecile Brunner look anything like it?

o

Similar, but the petals of this rose seem more cabbage like. I'm terrible at this description thing..

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, May 23, 14 at 0:49

Did you look at the Name That Rose! directions in the FAQ section? The pictures you put here really aren't very good, and you haven't mentioned most of the pertinent details that the FAQ points out.

Not that going into it that much guarantees it will ring a bell with someone, but it can't hurt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here