Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or Flower?

Posted by KelMotes 7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 22, 14 at 20:07

Does anyone know if this is a weed or flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or Flower?

That's spiderwort, Tradescantia sp., native but also planted in "old fashioned" gardens. Will have blue or pinkish three-petaled flowers. If you dont like it, it's a weed, if you like it it's a flower. I kind if like it myself.

o
RE: Weed or Flower?

it became an invading nightmare in my garden ... free seeding everywhere ... [is that what this one did??? .. that might be a clue]

whats really weird.. i had it for ten years.. in great soil.. and it was the perfect guest ...

i move out to sand and apply benign neglect .. and the thing goes nutso ...

its usually the other way round... but i bet it was the mulch at the old house.. the retarded reseeding ...

i have spent the last 5 years.. trying to eradicate it... and probably will still find some out there this year ...

ken

ps: all plants flower.. its part of the reproductive process ... and any plant the gardener doesnt want.. is a weed ..... so what you want to know.. is whether it has value in the garden .... once you understand that ... things might become easier.. in your slice of heaven ... i say its value is questionable ... and i am sure.. if you take this to the perennial forum.. others would argue such ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here