Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Possibly walked through Poison Hemlock?

Posted by Krystalfoxfire BC, Canada (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 20:10

I just discovered that I may have stumbled through a large patch of poison hemlock!
I touched the leaves and possibly some sap but am not suffering a rash or burn marks, and I did not ingest any part of the plant. I'm told simply inhaling from the plant is dangerous.
If it is infact Poison Hemlock, should I be concerned at all, or seeking medical attention?
Here are the images:

Photobucket

ph 2


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Possibly walked through Poison Hemlock?

Sure looks like it. AFAIK it is only toxic if you eat it, though I suppose some people could get a rash from touching it. I pick this plant to show my students at least three times a year and even have them smell it (smells pretty bad). Never had a reaction from it.


 o
RE: Possibly walked through Poison Hemlock?

Thank you for the ID!
I'll keep that in mind and not walk through there again. :)
I didn't smell anything bad around the plant (the breeze carried a sweet floral smell actually). I guess the bad odor would be from the sap/broken plant matter?
Hm, interesting that a lot of the flora in the local park gets mowed down but they've left the entire hoard of these poisonous ones.


 o
RE: Possibly walked through Poison Hemlock?

Nasty stuff. Dispose of it carefully if it's on your property(wear gloves, don't burn it, bag it up and send it to the landfill). Tie a bright ribbon on it so you'll know where it is and where there may be plants in the future.

Here's a little more info...

Here is a link that might be useful: Poison Hemlock info


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here