Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fruit tree or not?

Posted by sandragw 6 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 14 at 20:14

I need help identify if this is a fruit tree or not. It is about 4-5 years old and never flowers. Those spikes on branches are very sharp in fall; but then by spring, the leaves emerge from the spike end. It seems like a fast grower. The branches can get really long, also lots of new branches wants to grow upward and I have to really trim it down often. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fruit tree or not?

You can see the trunk is very straight and the leaves starting to emerge.

o

It looks quite a bit like a plum, and while I've never seen it (new to plums), I've heard they can even set fruit from thorns.

o

Thank you! It does seems like a plum tree. It won't set fruit until 5-6 years later after planting so I will wait couple more years and see how this one turns out.

o

The shiny foliage is very unusual for a plum. More like a pear. Did you plant it or could it be a volunteer? Most fruit tree cultivars dont have spikes IME

o

to be clear.. there are ornamental versions of both pear and plumb.. that may flower.. but never fruit ... or have inedible fruit ...

and i never heard of anything fruiting from a thorn.. to my eye.. they are two different types of tissue ...

you need one to the botanical gurus to chime in.. so i am bumping this back up the page ... we may have to wait until the leaves fully form ... or a flower appears ...

ken

ps: maybe the flamingo did it??? .. i dont know what.. but he is looking awful suspicious.. lol .;..

o

Doesn't look at all plummy to me. Come back with some fully formed leaves and we can tell you if it's a pear.

o

This is a volunteer from another part of the garden. The tree trunk looked unusual so I kept it. I used to have a plum tree in my old house and the leaves were purplish red, plus the branches were not as stiff. It could well be just a random wild tree. I will take more pictures in a couple weeks and upload again. Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here