Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying these plants

Posted by jill_wingett 5b (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 20:38

This grows in the very back of my yard, under a large tree. I've tried to kill it (round up) & keeps coming back. Any assistance is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying these plants

It looks like a bunch of cherry seedlings.

o

Maybe, but it seems to spread more like a ground cover & has never had any kind of berry

o

If it is cherry seedlings (Prunus sp.) - and I agree that it looks like it - they'd probably be growing each year from seeds dropped the previous summer, and they'd have to grow a few years old before they were capable of blooming and producing cherries; at that time they'd look like young trees/bushes.

o

Also keep in mind that even if you kill the parent tree the
soil seedbank can produce new seedlings for several years.

o

they are talking about a cherry tree .. what i call the furniture cherry ...

mine are 60 to 80 feet tall ...

the birds spread the seed for miles ...

scratch around near those seedlings.. you and you probably find the cherry pits .. they are NOT suckers .....

ken

o

At this point, if they are cherry seedlings, you should be able to reach in and pull one up pretty easily and still see the seed that it is growing from.

Just pulled up a whole bunch that were growing in a clump in my grass (perhaps due to animal scat).

o

Thanks for all your responses! I'm planning on cleaning up that area to plant, so I'll leave them for a couple of years & see what happens.

o

Bear in mind they'll be a lot harder to remove after a few years. You'll be dealing with a thicket of saplings not seedlings with just a few leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here