Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi there!

Posted by jschoony none (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 20:40

Another question for yas.

I am in zone 5a in New York. Just wondering what these might be.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi there!

Looks like Asclepias/Milkweed.

o

Yep, host plant for the Monarch butterfly.

o

Thanks so much. Is this safe around dogs and cats? I have one dog and feed a feral cat colony, I also have a little house for them :)

I don't currently have the plant in my yard. I have seeds from it.

My dog eats grass but has never eaten a plant I don't know about the feral cats though.

I did a quick search and it came up with a warning about it but then said it may be a myth.

Thanks.

o

just about everything is poisonous on some level ...

i trust my animals are smart enough to figure it all out ...

and neither has ever bothered such ...

ken

o

Thanks for all the info :)

o

We have milkweed here and when I was growing up. NONE of the dogs and cats ever bothered it. One taste of the bitter latex would keep them from going back for another bite. Monarchs are so beleaguered keeping a nice patch of these plants, which I do find attractive, would be awesome.

FYI - The Native people of this region, the Haudenosaunee (aka Iroquois) eat the young spring shoots. I seem to recall its prep is similar to pokeweed spring shoots. Though making sure you don't have its poisonous look-a-like is important for foragers. (See my blog article in the link to challenge your identification skills with milkweed and its spring look-a-like!) I've also read the flowers can also be battered and fried like fritters. So toxic? Sure, but nothing that is going to kill an animal after one nibble which they will never repeat.

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Blog link

o

Thanks so much! I will check your blog out. So far none of the seeds have come up. They were just taken off of a plant at the end of the season last year. I may buy some seeds next year, or later this year.

I also heard a little about them being edible but I don't think I will try :P

o

I love milkweed <3 the flowers smell SO nice...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here