Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grass terminology ?

Posted by adidas 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 20:49

I am trying to ID a grass but can't get a good pic so I was wondering if someone could tell me what you call the horizontal indentations that are present on some grasses?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grass terminology ?

maybe this will help ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: grass identification terminology

o

If you mean the joints in the blades those are called nodes.

o

Grasses are very tough to photograph, because they tend to be wispy and the camera often isn't smart enough to determine where you need to focus. For the inflorescence, just rest it in your hand, and take a photo of that in macro mode. For the entire plant, try setting something solid to the side, at the same distance from the lens. Press the shutter button half way and focus on the solid object, then shift your aim to the plant and finish pressing the shutter button. I often take a walking stick along, and focus shots on that. Also, the focus is usually best if you're shooting about 90 degrees to the light.

o

Thank-you everyone so much for your help! I realise I should have inserted the word blade! These indentations are on the blade...they look as if someone pushed something into the leaf and left an indentation...they are regularly spaced and all leaves of those same grasses have them so I know it's not a singular anomaly. I shall try and get a close up of the dimples.

Jekeesl: Thank-you for this advice....but my pics are all taken on an extremely good but very limited cell ph camera. I've saved your advice though....maybe Santa will think of me at Christmas :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here