Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that... seed?

Posted by david883 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, May 21, 14 at 21:05

HI all

My partner's grandma gave him some seeds to give to me - she said they were "spider flower" so I was thinking cleome. When I saw the seeds I realized they weren't. Anybody have any clue what these could be? No pictures of the actual plant/flower available so this might be a shot in the dark but worth a shot! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that... seed?

They look like milkweed seeds (Asclepias).

o

Are the purple flowers connected or coincidental?

o

Looks like nicotiana. I think i've heard it called 'spider'.

o

I'm not sure on the purple flowers. I'm assuming they're connected. Asclepias kind of makes sense because there was little wisps of that cottony puffballs (like dandelions get - I'm sure puffballs isn't the technical term...) in with the seeds.
The nicotinia seeds I saw online look smaller than these but I've never grown it before so not sure.
I mean, worse case scenario I plant a few of them a few different ways (i.e. press into soil, cover, chill a few, etc) and see what comes up but....

Thanks for the advise everyone! Anybody else - feel free to chime in!

o

What about coral vine? (Antigonon)

o

were the purple flower parts.. in the container the seed came in ??? .. the tissue they are sitting on ????

otherwise.. how did they get in with the seed??

ken

o

The bits of purple flowers were in with the seeds. She wrapped them in a coffee filter. I guess the plant was from last year and she saved the seeds so I truly have no clue what they really are. I might just try to see if I can get some to germinate and grow and post some more pictures in a while.

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here