Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
second plant in question

Posted by southerngardening24 7b (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 21:33

I purchased the pincusion "ritz rose" plant recently and it came with a hitchhiker that I left in place when I planted it out into the garden because the plant was so small.

Does anyone know what the one in the middle is? I was thinking maybe a gerbera or similar?

Thank you for reading and your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: second plant in question

Ajuga?

o

I think a closer picture of the flower would help.

o

I will take a better pic tomorrow. thank you.

o

We know what the flower is - that's the 'Pincushion'. ie Scabiosa japonica var. alpina 'Ritz Rose'. It's the leaves growing out of the middle of the Scabiosa the OP wants ided.

Whatever it is it needs to come out whether to be discarded or transplanted. It can't stay where it is.

o

I dug it up, soaked it in water for a few minutes, and tried to separate it. It does not separate. Seems to be one plant. Strange.

o

Well, I've looked up some images of this plant and it seems that it's one of those examples of the flowering stems having different foliage from the basal rosette. It's not a plant I know personally but that phenomenon is not uncommon. However, it is unusual in that the flowering stems would normally come from the centre of the rosette, not from below it. That's why it looks like a different plant in the middle. So, I'm sorry if you dug it up on my advice. I hope I haven't caused too much mayhem in your garden.

o

weird..looks like two different plants to me also. Is this definitely a scabiosa then?

o

Yes - it's definitely a Scabiosa. The flowers are a give away. The image at the link shows the two types of leaves. Although their position on the OP's is a bit unusual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scabiosa 'Ritz Rose'

o

floral no mayhem in my garden lol. I was very thankful for all the advice and didn't mind digging it up. another learning experience for me! I picked this plant on purpose because I thought I was getting 2 for 1 lol. I love a challenge. thanks again. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here