Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woody Star Pods; Mystery Tree

Posted by claricia PA (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 14 at 21:49

I've got four of these babies on the property, all of them planted on the east side and with shelter from the westward winds from the open plains in that direction. They are relatively small trees, but I don't know when they were planted. They only just started leafing out during the last few weeks. The woody star pods were filled with seeds that had hair on one edge (if I remember correctly.) They seem to open and close with the morning/night and warmer/cooler temperatures. The star pods remind me of Crape Myrtle pods, but the leaves don't match...? And I have heard Crapes do not do well in our zones (central PA.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woody Star Pods; Mystery Tree

rose of sharon

o

• Posted by carrieb 7 Philadelphia (My Page) on
    Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:02

Rose of Sharon, Hibiscus syriacus, I think. And invasive weed tree in my part of PA.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hibiscus syriacus

o

Thank you! It has been driving me crazy. The people who own the land said they have never seen them bloom and had no idea what they were, apparently you need to cut the pods off! I wonder if it is too late now, I had no idea! D:

Edit: Thank you for the link! I like the four we have, but don't want a forest! I recognize from those pictures that we have some seedlings; I will dig them up and find something to do with them. :)

This post was edited by claricia on Sat, May 24, 14 at 22:45

o

No you don't need to cut the pods off, and if there are pods, then it bloomed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here