Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spishack01

Identify this plant please

spishack01
16 years ago

I have seen every plant posted on here identified when asked and I have another.

I bought this about three years ago at Home Depot and have no idea what it is.

It takes alot of water, almost every day. It has flowered once with a few white flowers.

{{gwi:239018}}

{{gwi:239019}}

Comments (21)

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

It appears to be a Viburnum, possibly awabuki.

HTH
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Chindo

• debndal
    16 years ago

I think it is some kind of croton that has greened out. Does it stay outside all year or do you bring it in for the winter? Does it get very much sun? Do you fertilize with high nitrogen fert?

• lindac
    16 years ago

I also think it's a croton.
    Linda C

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Croton has alternate foliage this plant has opposite leaves.

Tonyfromoz taught me to pay attention to that;-)

HTH
    Chris

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

This message was originally posted on the "Gardening in Tx" Forum. The author of the message stated that the flowers of this plant was not like Croton's but like a Manolia instead. See link attached.

Omar

Here is a link that might be useful: original post

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Ok lets try Japanese Skimmia for size.

HTH
    Chris

BTW Magnolia also has alternate leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Skimmia

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Aucuba japonica.

HTH
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:239014}}

• Vulture61
    16 years ago

And the coloration on the leaves? The variegated Aucuba j. I know have spots on the leaves instead of colored veins. Also, Aucuba j. is hardy to zone 6. The author of the post stated that his plant was frost sensitive.

Omar

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

I've had Aucuba suffer freeze damage in zone 8b so that's
    not surprising.

Regards
    Chris

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

The coloration may have more to do with alkaline soil and water
    than to variegation.

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Aucuba japonica is very common in the UK, beloved by the Victorians because it resisted pollution caused by coal fires. It is totally hardy here and it does not have white flowers. I really don't think that this is A japonica. Skimmia japonica is another hardy shrub very familiar in the UK and this is definitely not it. It's sitting next to a bouganvillea and is that a frangipani behind? My guess is it's a hot climate shrub but I don't know what.

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Yes FloraUK Texas is a hotter than hell place in Summer
    and equally frigid some Winters, like -15c some years. (zone8)
    Especially when accompanied by dry arctic winds.
    So when I say Aucuba can freeze here, trust me it can.
    Any plant in a container is likely to suffer more than one
    planted in the ground.

Chris in alternately hot, cold, flooded and desert dry Texas!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

The viburnum is closest but this is not any viburnum I have seen. Although the upper foliage is similar the branches are not viburnum-like. I'm inclined to think it's something completely different from the common plants guessed so far, maybe that would be recognized by someone familiar with tropicals.

• saltcedar
    16 years ago

Viburnum odoratissimum is fairly cold tender and might
    show chlorosis in with alkaline soil and water.

Regards
    Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:239015}}

• cactusfreak
    16 years ago

Since I have loquat that was my first thought. I can't seem to find a good picture but yours looks very much like mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: loquat

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Don't think it's a loquat. The leaves don't look right - not dark enough, not furrowed enough and not the same distinction between new and old growth. (see link) and don't forget the o p said the flowers were magnolia-like.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:239016}}

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Of those suggested the only one with potential is Viburnum. Clip a piece of yours and compare with known (labeled) examples of those elsewhere, such as in nurseries or public gardens.

• spishack01
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks alot for all of the help I am recieving. I have been a bit busy and unable to participate on the forum latey so I am just now reading all of this.
    It does come in to the house during the winter. It seems to get agitated in the mid to upper 40 degree f temperatures.
    In addition, I have had it about three years and it has only bloomed once very shortly.
    Again, thanks for all the help.

another pic...

{{gwi:239020}}

Mike

• Gunnar's Mom
    16 years ago

I believe you may have Pseuderanthemum reticulatum aka Pseuderanthemum carruthersii var. reticulatum aka Yellow-Vein Eranthemum. There are a couple of varieties, one with more oval leaves, and another with narrower leaves.

"Young leaves with yellow veins/reticulation, turning completely green as leaves age. Corolla white with magenta spots and lines at lobe bases and inside tube."

It is a member of the Acanthaceae family which tends to like moisture and includes such relatives as Sanchezia, Justicia, Fittonia which tend to have similar patterns on their leaves.

Check out the link below to see if it looks familiar to you.

Good luck. -Au

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:239017}}

• daai_tou_laam
    16 years ago

I'm no expert, but my first thought was Tabernaemontana divaricata, crepe jasmin. I see pepa mentioned this on the original thread as well.

here's some photos and japanese text on the plant

I'm guessing the coloration is stress, since it doesn't seem to be seen on the new growth.

• gardenguru1950
    16 years ago

Pseuderanthemum carruthersii (species, not a cultivar) or P. tuberculatum.

Joe

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting