Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name this plant please.

Posted by jimrich none (My Page) on
Fri, May 16, 14 at 23:14

I would like to know the name of this plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name this plant please.

Schefflera actinophylla.

o

If this plant has been inside all winter, putting it outside in the direct sun can burn the leaves. It looks like it's been in insufficient light for a while, and can handle direct sun, but must be acclimated to avoid burning all of the leaves. This wouldn't kill your plant, but it would be ugly until new leaves grew in.

o

Thank you purpleinopp! That's exactly what happened. I placed it outside because of the warm weather. The sunlight seemed to have stressed it. I was trying to find out what it is, so that I can find a way to recover it. It has been brought back indoors. I am still not sure if it is a Schefflera actinophylla (umbrella plant). There are only 3-4 leaves per stem and the main trunk reminds me of bamboo.It seem to grow well when the soil was dry. If I could get more confirmations that it is Schefflera actinophylla, then I'll accept it.

o

try the houseplant forum ... for other opinions.. and care ...

its sunburnt ... and.. i suspect.. too big for its pot ... and maybe the potting media hasnt been changed in ages... and most likely... can be severely cut back... repotted ... and will rejuvenate ...

and odds are.. the pieces cut off can be rooted ...

all that info in the houseplant forum ...

ken

o

It looks like Shefflera to me....grown under very poor conditions. The stem is skinny, leaves have dropped, leaflets have jumped ship. The plant looks starved or perhaps it's growing in very poor or old potting medium.

It is barely recognizable, in this condition, as a shefflera actinophylla....but that's what it is. :-(

o

I thought it was Schefflera too, Salt's ID confirmed that when I scrolled down, and Saltcedar is hardly EVER wrong.

o

I would like to give a huge thanks to all that have responded. I'm new here, so I didn't know that I had gotten the correct answer from the plant Doctor. After further inspection of the plant, saltcedar was right all along. Again I'd like to thank you all for the identification and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here