Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Central American plant...must I.D. soon!!

Posted by vtjane none (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 23:22

In a recent trip to Central America, I came home with a few hibiscus seeds, a couple "nance" fruit seeds, a bunch of celosia seeds, and one mystery seed which I cannot recall!! I remember being given each of the other seeds by friends I was with, but this one I can't remember at all. I put it in some potting soil, and it germinated and grew quickly. I want to make sure I can ID it before I even think about putting it outside though--last thing I want to do is accidentally spread something that could be invasive.
I have a picture with the seed (along with nance and jamaica hibiscus). The mystery seed is black or very dark brown, and sort of oval or vase shaped and pitted. About half an inch long.
I tried emailing somebody in Honduras who might know, he or his family probably gave me the seed, but I haven't heard anything back.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Central American plant...must I.D. soon!!

Can you post a pic of the seed as well?

o

That sure reminds me of Four O'clocks (mirabilis)

o

• Posted by aswhad belgium-europe (My Page) on
    Sun, May 4, 14 at 15:59

was it the seed from the link

Here is a link that might be useful: LINK to mirabilis_jalapa seed

o

Yes, it looks like that! :) The seed is the dark one bottom left of the attached picture (I tried uploading multiple pics on my first post but didn't succeed).

I live in Vermont. I don't to plant something outside in my garden that will take over--sounds like 4 O'Clocks are common enough for gardens though? Any tips appreciated!

I was worried it might be a fallopia, related to Japanese Knotweed, but then it (in the Polygonaceae family) would have alternate rather than opposite leaves.

o

I think the seed on the left is a 4 o'clock.

o

Yes, looks like a tiny grenade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here