Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weed or Flower?

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 0:17

So I've been watching this plant grow and grow, but it doesn't flower. Is it a weed or eventually a worthwhile flower? Comments appreciated!

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weed or Flower?

Solidago perhaps?

o

weed ... its that time of year.. they are everywhere ...

do not let them go to seed

ken

o

Don't listen to ken. Solidago is an important wildlife plant - it's foliage feeds insects that become food for baby birds. I loved watching the wrens pluck green caterpillars off it last year to feed their babies.

Late summer blooms offer nectar at a time when it is really needed and then tiny seeds feed songbirds all winter. And the sweep of yellow flowers is gorgeous in a big stand.

This is likely the more aggressive one (there are non-aggressive ones) in which case it will spread by runners (and you can see that if you pull it up).

If you have room for it, it is good to leave it. If you have a small or tightly controlled garden (like ken) then it may be too aggressive for you.

Does not cause allergies as the heavy pollen is transported by insects, not the wind.

o

Esh GA- I just love the way you described this plant and provided info on it; rarely seen. Thanks!

o

I, too, agree with esh ga!

Goldenrod (Solidago sp.) is one of the most important late season nectar/pollen plants. It is used by a multitude of pollinators to the point that it is difficult to shoot a photo without capturing some live creature.

The hayfever causing plant is Ragweed (Ambrosia sp,)...Goldenrod is no more likely to cause an allergic reaction than are Petunias or Roses.

Thanks esh!

Bob

o

Thanks for the great and informative responses, especially esh! While this may be crowding out a small section of flowers and growing in other beds, since they're so beneficial, I'm going to make a special section in one of my beds to put the plants in rather than cut them down.

vince

o

Yay! Thanks, vince.

Great picture bob, two bugs in one.

o

The roots are so thick that I let it grow along the edges of my garden which prevents rodents from tunneling in. I pull out enough outer stems so it stays where I want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here