Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southerngardening24

smooth silvery leaves what is it?

This was mixed in with winter sown alyssum seeds. The leaves are smooth, soft, a bit leathery feeling but not succulent and silvery green looking.

I would love to find out what it is if it's even worth keeping.

Thanks so much!

Comments (15)

• thedecoguy
    9 years ago

Stocks, Matthiola?

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That could be it! Now to find out how long it takes until they bloom. Thanks.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Agree, stocks. I've always grown them as a cool weather bloomer. I assume your's will be a fall bloomer?

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought some small stock plants on clearance a while back. They didn't look good long so I got rid of them. It never dawned on me until now that their leaves look like the ones I had.

After reading online, I don't have much faith that they will make it much longer in our heat here in SC even though they are looking great but they will get a chance. Would be great to have them bloom in fall.

Thanks everyone!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

reminds me also of calendula ....

can that be ruled out ... or is that considered a stock???

or a better question... as i never grew them... is stock one specific plant.. or a group ... why is there no latin associated with it.. or is the word stock latin????

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

"Matthiola incana (stock) is a species of flowering plant in the genus Matthiola. The common name "stock" usually refers to this species, though it may also be applied to the whole genus. The common name "night-scented stock" or "evening-scented stock" is applied to Matthiola longipetala (syn. bicornis).[1] M. incana is also known in the USA by the common names hoary stock and tenweeks stock. It is a common garden flower, available in a variety of colours, many of which are heavily scented and also used in floristry."

Here is a link that might be useful: stock @ wikipedia

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ken: some of the google images look like it could be calendula which I would be happy about because I love yellow flowers and stock supposedly does not take the heat well.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

There are several possibilities just going by the leaves. Stocks and Calendula are two. Another is Aurinia saxatilis aka Basket of Gold which used to be called Alyssum saxatile. The old name could explain how it got into a packet of Alyssum seed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aurinia saxatilis

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked my records again. This is growing in the middle of alyssum gold dust (saxatile compactum) and it was commercial seed. Basket of gold seems to be larger than gold dust from what I have researched. floral I think you are right.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

southerngardening24 -there's a bit of a mix up going on here. Firstly, Alyssum saxatile has been renamed Aurinia saxatilis. Basket of Gold is a common name for it, not a cultivar name.

Secondly, as far as I can make out, Gold Dust is just another common name rather than a cultivar.

The variety Aurinia saxatilis 'Compactum' is more dwarf than the plain species. However, it isn't as small as the smaller plants in your photo and it doesn't have that lax trailing habit.

So what I am saying is that in your photo only the large leaves are Aurinia saxatilis. The small leaves could be Cerastium tomentosum or some other creeping silver leaved plant. But I'm pretty sure they aren't Aurinia.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

definatelly confusing. All I know is the package of what I've sown says "Gold Dust (Saxatile Compactum). Whatever the mixup and however it happened oh well :-) Should be interesting when/if it blooms.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but the leaves on the small plants are sort've sandpapery feeling.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this. I really appreciate it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Saxatile compactum isn't even a plant name so the seed company needs to buck its ideas up a bit. Just putting 'saxatile compactum' is like offering a 'short red' for sale and omitting the word 'dress'. The name is Aurinia (the generic name) saxatilis (the specific name) 'Compactum' (the cultivar).

It'll be interesting to see what both plants look like in bloom.

This post was edited by floral_uk on Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 17:17

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok the package does say Alyssum Gold Dust (Saxatile Compactum). It was from ferry morse.

I will post a pic of the blooms for sure.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Aha - mystery solved. When you first said it had popped up from a packet of Alyssum I, for one, was imagining the little white 'Sweet Alyssum' ie Lobularia maritima, formerly Alyssum maritimum.

Looking forward to pictures, especially of the little silver mysteries, but they may not flower until next year.

• southerngardening24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do have some white "carpet of snow" alyssum growing in a basket.

It's ok if they don't flower until next year. I will try to be patient. :-)