Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowing Water Plant ID

Posted by EricaBraun 9b CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 1:01

I discovered this very pretty water plant today. It seems to spread by "runners," but the runners have a thickness that is more akin to branches. Every two to three feet one of these little plants sprouts up. They are only about a foot tall. The plant/plants are taking up a huge portion of a shallow lake, so it is either very vigorous, or possibly invasive. I'd love help, if anyone knows what it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowing Water Plant ID

Purple loosestrife.

Roots are just part of the problem - one plant can produce up to 2.7 million seeds which is why it's choking up so much space along the nation's lakes, ponds, and waterways.

We've got a lovely little meandering creek across the street and down a slope - every year one of us in the neighborhood dead heads the few we get and shovels up the obvious plants that we see so it's never gotten much of a toehold along our stretch yet.

o

Nothing I've grown before, but it looks like Polygonum persicaria to me.

o

Donna, I think you might have steered me in the right direction. It really didn't look like Purple Loosestrife and it wasn't quite Polygonum persicaria, but that one looked pretty close. I ended up looking up Polygonum plants in this area and came up with Persicaria amphibia - Water Smartweed. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Apparently it's a native.

o

Polygonum

o

The Persicarias were formerly named "Polygonum."

So for the Smartweeds/Lady's Thumbs/Tearthumbs/etc., anything you see as "Polygonum ------" is now correctly named "Persicaria -----."

o

Persicaria amphibia, aka water smartweed. As might be determined by the species designation, a water plant. A serious spreader but a native plant so not considered invasive.

o

Thanks for verifying, Gardengal48!

Thank you all for the help! I've been on a kick lately to identify anything interesting that I find.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here