Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify this weed

Posted by hellenouw none (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 1:03

Please help me identify this mushroom type, i don't know where it came from..

thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify this weed

it came in the compost/mulch ...

ignore them...

they are part of the breaking down of the vegetative material in the compost... when they use it up.. they will no longer appear ...

i am sure someone has a name for them.. but it doesnt matter.. all kinds of mushrooms will possibly show up ... and i consider them a free.. key word there...a free show of mother nature ....

ken

o

Thank you Ken, as long as it is not poisonous I can take it easy.. dont wanna some creepy thing show up near my plant... thanks :)

o

It might be a poisonous mushroom, but it will not be dangerous to your plants....just to you. The rule of thumb about all mushrooms is that they need to be considered toxic until someone with a great deal of experience tells you otherwise.

There are mushrooms that are fruiting bodies of tree pathogens but those are not likely to be seen in a container.

o

I see..better to not touch them directly..thanks rhizo!

o

Very common here in my West Central FL yard - they generally last only a day & 'melt' away - look like fairy umbrellas to me

o

Hi Carol, yes it does disappear just in one day.. its cute how you call it a "fairy umbrella" cheers! :)

o

i dont think touching is an issue..

it would be more an issue of getting falling down drunk.. falling with your mouth open.. into the pot.. and swallowing it .. lol ... like the shroom would be the worst of your problem at that point.. lol ...

i didnt realize its in a pot.. if so.. just put on a glove if you wish [i wouldn't bother].. and tug it out .. it doesnt really have roots ...

no need to keep it.. if you dont want ...

in pots.. you would be better off with one of the potting media ... and when i used to grow seed.. i sterilize my media... before use.. to not only get rid of weed seed.. but also fungi spores..etc ... see link...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here