Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White Flower ID Help Needed

Posted by EricaBraun 9b CA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 1:13

I came across this pretty white flower today. The flower heads are about the diameter of a quarter. The leaves look like chamomile leaves. I'm wondering if it's something related to chamomile.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White Flower ID Help Needed

umm... a sad shasta daisy??

o

Lol. It's possible. There were a couple growing though and none were over a foot tall. I think shasta daisies get bigger than that.

o

Flower is far too small even for a stunted Shasta and the leaves are wrong. But I'm afraid I don't know what it is. There are leaves in the picture that don't belong to it but I think the feathery ones are the correct foliage. It could be one of the various plants called Chamomile - does it have a scent?

o

It does have some scent. I'm actually wondering if it's stinking chamomile - Anthemis cotula. I'm really not sure though.

o

I don't think it's Anthemis cotula. That has a more raised disc and the leaves are very light and ferny. I was walking through some at the weekend.

o

Hrmm. That puts me back at square one then. Lol.

Here's another pic that shows more of the foliage. Not sure if it will help though.

o

Looks like plain old oxeye daisy, Leucanthemum vulgare. Pretty much just a weed. And a somewhat invasive one at that.

o

Think the leaves are wrong for Leucanthemum vulgare.

Ironic that I thought this would be something easy to identify. Lol.

o

It certainly reminds me of dog fennel--Anthemis cotula, especially given the stinking factor. Foliage adapted to 9b California may differ from other locations.

o

I'm going with Anthemis cotula, as well. Definitely not a Shasta; the foliage is all wrong.

Linda

o

Thanks so much everyone! Getting verification of Anthemis cotula from two people is a pretty good bet that that is the identity of this mystery plant.

o

It's quite possible that in Ca Anthemis cotula looks different from in the English countryside. Yours looks more succulent and a duller green than the lush, ferny, bright green ones I know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here