Return to the Name That Plant Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shrub ID?

Posted by farmboy1 5 Chicago area (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 1:55

I dug up this shrub while digging up some Black Raspberry plants in Z5. There were no others around it.

It doesn't seem to be growing excessively fast, so I wonder if it';s something worth keeping or just another weedy thing?

Thanks,

vince

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shrub ID?

the speckled bark sure reminds me of forsythia.. of which barely any bloomed this spring based on the winter from heck ... if you have others.. compare ...

but i am guessing ...

ken

o

Thanks, Ken!

My big Forsythia, that I dragged around the yard a few years ago, also didn't care to bloom this spring. This little whatever it is, was all by itself in the field, so it could not have started from a root sucker. I'll compare the leaves with the others in the yard and see if they match, but if memory serves me correctly, these leaves have smooth edges, while the Forsythia leaves, even when smaller, have some serration to the edges.

vince

o

Speckled Bark Tree is Wild Cherry. Is there another Shrub growing underneath? Birds Deposit those seeds.

o

I don't know what it is but I don't think it's either Forsythia or Cherry. Any chance of more pictures? Maybe the whole shrub and a close up of leaves and buds?

o

Callery pear?

o

straight down pix really make it hard ... and i dont understand why ...

i could see prunus serotina ...

ken

o

Well, here's another pic, though it's a small shrub and hard to get a good shot.

The leaves are different from even small Forsythia leaves, Forsythias have more pronounced veins visible on top, and the beginnings of some serrations on the edges. This shrub doesn't have those.

Prunus leaf images I can find look different as well.....back to square one!

Thanks,

vince

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Plant Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here